Turkey constructed a wall of denialism – Forbes on Armenian Genocide themed “The Promise”
Author of the American Forbes magazine Stefan Ihrig has published an article on the Armenian Genocide themed movie “The Promise” and about the denial atmosphere surrounding it.
STEPANAKERT, NOVEMBER 15, ARTSAKHPRESS-ARMENPRESS: Ihrig titled the article “Genocide Denial Goes Viral: 'The Promise' And The IMDB”.
The author says speaking about the Armenian Genocide one becomes the target for Turkish nationalists and deniers.
“Writing this is dangerous: Speaking out on the Armenian Genocide means taking a huge risk. At the very least, it will be an exhausting experience, getting harassed online, trolled, threatened, down-rated on Amazon and publicly vilified. Until now, this was true mainly for individuals—academics, artists and activists, “he writes.
Later in the article Ihrig discusses the recent Turkish protests over a concert in Germany:
“Just in the last weeks, Turkey left the European Union’s cultural program in protest over a piece honoring the victims of the genocide by the Dresden Symphonic Orchestra which was sponsored by the program. Most recently, Turkey prevented a concert—again the very same piece—at the German Consulate in Istanbul. And now, we are in the middle of the next anti-Armenian campaign. This time its object is a Hollywood movie, The Promise, an epic focusing on the Armenian Genocide, starring amongst others Christian Bale. Yet, this time it might actually backfire and go another way.”
The article also presents the past efforts of Turkey of failing Armenian Genocide themed movies in Hollywood.
“All this has a long tradition. Eighty years ago the Turkish government forced Hollywood to drop a movie project based on The Forty Days of Musa Dagh, then a best-selling novel on the Armenian Genocide by German-language author, Jew and outspoken Hitler opponent Franz Werfel. The Forty Days of Musa Dagh, originally written as a warning against Hitler through the prism of the Armenian Genocide, never saw the silver screen. Such a movie could have also raised awareness of the fate of the Jews in Nazi Germany at the time and later of the ongoing Holocaust. It could have shaped the “narrative” of the struggle against Hitler. Many have since been interested to finally turn the novel into a major production, most recently, for example, Mel Gibson and Sylvester Stallone, but Turkish opposition and obstruction seemed insurmountable”, the article reads.
“The Turkish government has constructed a very solid and relatively successful wall of enforced silence, blocking attempts not only to acknowledge, but even to discuss the topic through various forms of intimidation. Even if methods of intervention have changed, Turkish denialism is not a thing of the past. It is less often direct intervention by the government or the embassy, but rather a general atmosphere of intimidation, fear and enforced silence”, Stefan Ihrig says.
Speaking about “The Promise”, Stefan Ihrig says the movie made it further than the past projects mainly because of independent financing. He says it is one of the most expensive independently financed movies so far.
“The movie was screened in September at the Toronto International Film Festival to rather small-sized audiences. Like any movie of note, it has its IMDB entry ready where you can find all the information on the movie and where people can rate the film from one star to ten. And here this movie, for all intents and purposes is not yet available to the public, has become something of an online sensation, or rather an online battlefield. Over the last weeks it has attracted over 91,000 votes, largely split between ten- and one-star votes. The majority, over 57,000, are one-star votes. This is an obvious campaign to downrate the movie which then triggered pro-Armenian voting. We are witnessing yet another anti-Armenian denialist campaign playing out abroad, far away from Turkey, in open, democratic societies. While it is not clear who is orchestrating the campaign, it has to be assumed that, as with other campaigns, connections go back to the Turkish government and/or nationalist groups.
Armenian Genocide denialism has gone through various phases of development in the last decades. Denialism has entered the age of Twitter and online mob-rule. And, unfortunately, quite successfully so”, he wrote.
- 17:24 Iran president declares end of ISIS
- 17:19 Lavrov has no excessive optimism about speedy resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 16:24 Armenia president meets Lavrov
- 16:14 President Bako Sahakyan visits the town of Saint-Chamond
- 14:53 Reconstruction works to be launched in the main building of the Artsakh State University
- 12:15 A friendship declaration between Alfortville and the Artsakh town of Berdzor was signed
- 11:09 World oil prices on the decline
- 10:59 Fertility promotion program in Artsakh: 99 families to receive houses
- 10:37 Community centers are being built in three more villages in Hadrut
- 10:25 Bako Sahakyan: The organization of the Days of Artsakh in France will have an important contribution to the expansion of Artsakh’s cooperation with France
- 09:59 Archbishop Karekin Bekciyan sends letter to Erdogan
- 09:58 Putin and Assad meet in Sochi
- 09:17 Artsakh Republic President Bako Sahakyan arrives in the French town of Alfortville
- 21:56 Iran’s President to meet with Putin in Sochi
- 19:38 Karabakh representative attends reception in Burg-de-Peage
- 17:50 State Budget 2018 Debates Started in the National Assembly
- 17:28 Kremlin announces topics of Russia-Iran-Turkey summit
- 16:20 Armenia emergency minister heads to France on working visit
- 15:50 OSCE Secretary General says absolutely essential to strictly adhere to the 1994 ceasefire agreement in Karabakh
- 15:34 Edauard Sharmazanov: Artsakh Has the Same Right of Declaring Independent Statehood as Belarus, Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 14:49 Russia MFA: Karabakh conflict not profitable for anyone
- 13:00 Sharmazanov: Not condemning Armenian Genocide gave birth to Hitler’s Fascism
- 12:29 Lavrov: Russia-US cooperation did not suffer on Karabakh issue
- 11:57 The results and projects of “Eznik Mozyan Vocational School”
- 09:59 Karabakh President in France, visits Phonethon center in Paris
- 12:33 Armenian defense minister’s delegation completes visit to Canada
- 11:34 Moscow hosts exhibition of prominent Armenian sculptor Ara Harutyunyan’s artworks
- 11:30 Argentina president plane makes emergency landing
- 11:23 Russia, US do not reach agreement on investigation into chemical attacks in Syria
- 10:54 Newspaper: Russia politician - Baku wishes to drag Moscow into Karabakh plan
- 10:48 Armenian President receives Brazil’s FM
- 09:36 NATO apologizes to Turkey for troops' withdrawal from drills
- 20:29 FIDE Grand Prix: Aronian celebrates first victory
- 18:59 European Parliament calls for end to Karabakh conflict, opening visa dialogue with Armenia
- 17:24 Dollar drops, euro goes up in Armenia
- 17:14 Nalbandian: Lavrov visit is devoted to 25th anniversary of Armenia-Russia diplomatic relations
- 16:30 Brazil Foreign Minister visits Armenian Genocide Memorial
- 16:29 Economic reforms to encourage more people to stay in Armenia – US ambassador
- 16:18 Brazil’s FM calls on to encourage Armenian and Brazilian investors
- 15:43 Mexico supports OSCE Minsk Group mediation for peaceful settlement of NK conflict
- 15:28 Turkey withdraws 40 troops from NATO drills
- 14:59 Sergey Minasyan named Armenia’s new Ambassador to Romania
- 14:43 Armenian FM presents efforts on moving forward NK conflict settlement process to his Brazilian counterpart
- 14:21 Exact date of meeting of Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs not clarified yet
- 14:00 Armenia FM: Azerbaijan attempts to appear in sheep’s clothing will not succeed
- 13:38 President of the National Assembly Convenes a Working Consultation
- 13:17 President Bako Sahakyan partakes at the opening ceremony of the new gold processing center in Stepanakert
- 12:52 Armenian church on the brink of collapse in Turkey’s Bitlis
- 12:47 Serena Williams, Alexis Ohanian get married
- 12:45 New MUTV documentary about Mkhitaryan released online
- 12:36 Facebook adds trust indicators to identify real journalism
- 11:51 Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hanks to support COAF charity event
- 11:33 Matthew Bryza: Karabakh conflict good example of cooperation between US and Russia
- 10:29 FIDE Grand Prix 2017: Aronian draws with Jakovenko
- 10:18 Russian official: Baku will make compromises over Karabakh settlement when facing coordinated pressure
- 10:10 Armenian soldier discharged from hospital 2 weeks after complicated skull prosthesis surgery
- 10:05 Quake damages part of Tigranakert fortress
- 09:44 Misha: I will do everything to win
- 09:31 Quake damages a house in Karabakh's Stepanakert
- 17:11 NKR FM Met with Members of the Standing Committee on Foreign Relations of the National Assembly of Artsakh
- 11.17.2017 President Bako Sahakyan partakes at the opening ceremony of the new gold processing center in Stepanakert
- 11.15.2017 Parliament adopts new law on military service
- 11.15.2017 2018 State Budget draft presented to Artsakh Parliament
- 11.16.2017 Ashot Ghoulyan to chair the commission on organizing celebrations marking the 30th anniversary of the Karabagh Movement
- 11.16.2017 NKR FM Met with Members of the Standing Committee on Foreign Relations of the National Assembly of Artsakh
- 11.15.2017 Variety: Armenian Genocide film director unable to get Turkish official to go on camera
- 11.16.2017 Artsakh Republic President Bako Sahakyan receives philanthropist Nikolay Sarkisov
- 11.17.2017 Armenia FM: Azerbaijan attempts to appear in sheep’s clothing will not succeed
- 11.17.2017 President of the National Assembly Convenes a Working Consultation