From random meeting in Tatev Monastery to wedding: Love story of MEP Frank Engel and his Armenian fiancée
Recently media were focused on MEP Frank Engel from Luxembourg and his Armenian fiancée Tatev Manukyan, who lives in Belgium. She studied in the State University of Economics of Armenia and later continued her studies in Sweden’s Dalarna University.
STEPANAKERT, APRIL 21, ARTSAKHPRESS-ARMENPRESS:
She relocated to Belgium afterwards, and currently works in the AGBU Europe’s Brussels office.
In an exclusive interview with ARMENPRESS, Frank Engel and Tatev Manukyan presented their love story – from a random meeting in the Tatev Monastery to wedding planning.
Let’s start from the beginning. Where and how did you first meet?
F. Engel – Of course, I am already used to answering this question. Actually, this can be called a flight story. I was going to Mongolia to participate in the parliamentary assembly ahead of the EU-Asia summit. A rather short travel was scheduled, and I had to return to Armenia afterwards in order to be here on the Armenian Genocide anniversary day. There were some problems during the Istanbul-Ulan Bator flight, and we landed in Bishkek, where the passengers were requested to exit the plane. The bad thing was that no other flight was suggested, because we found out the weather conditions were really bad in Ulan Bator, and we didn’t even know when we would be able to reach it. There was nothing else left then cancelling it. I stayed in Bishkek for one day, and the next day I organized a flight to Yerevan. And it so happened that in Armenia I and Tatev coincidentally appeared in the same car, which was going to the Tatev Monastery. The monastery and the surrounding view were simply wonderful, perhaps this is what inspired us. The mysterious beautify of the two Tatevs (my bride and the monastery) were very harmonious.
T. Manukyan – Yes, this was in fact the time following the April War – the second half of April, when I arrived in Armenia for 10 days. I had asked a common friend of me and Frank to take me to Tatev Monastery, and after being in the same car with Frank, I found out that Frank had also requested the same person for the same favor prior to arriving in Armenia, who didn’t hesitate to send both of us to Tatev on the same car.
Speaking about intercultural dialogue, what new discoveries have you managed to do about each other as representatives of different nations?
F. Engel – I don’t know whether I’m the most typical representative of Luxembourg, but anyhow, Tatev, what have you discovered? Actually Tatev had never been to Luxembourg.
T. Manukyan – Really, I hadn’t been to Luxembourg. It was an entirely new discovery for me – the people, the country, I have already started to learn Luxembourgish. I can’t say the same about Frank, since he has more than discovered Armenia already. He told me once : “I have to take you, and you have to see your Fatherland and know it from end to end”. We drove 2500 kilometers in one day in Armenia and Artsakh, travelling in the north and south of Armenia and Artsakh – from Noyemberyan to Meghri, from Martakert to Hadrut.
I am often asked – “Did you show Frank Armenia?”, to which I respond smilingly, yes, Frank showed me Armenia.
F. Engel – By the way, on a white Niva, what any Armenian man must do [laughingly]. Yes, asking an Armenian woman on a date requires a bit more of a constructive approach than a representative of another nation, but I can say Tatev is the kind of person who completely matches me.
What will you say about language issues? If, of course those exists.
F. Engel – A bit time is necessary for me to finish my Armenian lessons and bring my language skill to a normal level. Armenian isn’t one of the easiest languages, in which case one can at least find some similarities with the languages I know. We speak English to each other. We also speak Dutch in Belgium, it is more convenient for communicating with Tatev’s family.
T. Manukyan – Sometimes I simply say – If in the future you want to understand your children, then you must learn Armenian. Our common languages are English, Dutch and French, while Armenian and Luxembourgish are yet to come.
F. Engel – Our children will of course speak also Armenian and Luxembourgish. Tatev in her turn is trying to learn Luxembourgish.
T. Manukyan – Yes, one of the upcoming goals of my life is learning Luxembourgish, because I see how much Frank respects my language and culture, and I have to show the same respect for his language and culture.
And how did your friends and family respond to your decision on being together?
T. Manukyan – They were very excited.
F. Engel – Really?
T. Manukyan – Perhaps you missed that part [laughing]
Why am I asking. Perhaps you’ve seen the photo of an Armenian woman wearing Armenian national clothes, with her black husband and their son, which was rather widely discussed among the public. Different things were said around the photo, which gave the reason to think about the somewhat environment of intolerance. I would like to know what you think about this issue?
F. Engel – But we also saw that even Armenians display more tolerance, when it’s about a black woman, in this case Serena Williams, and this doesn’t disturb anyone. In terms of the Luxembourg society, I haven’t noticed it to create any concern there, since there are many mixed marriages in Luxembourg.
T. Manukyan – I had heard about it, I had seen those negative comments. I have also read all comments regarding an article which was written about us, which were mostly positive, but I was asking myself why? Is it maybe because Frank is a public figure? This really angers me, because it shows the discriminative attitude which we have towards foreigners. During our history we have been persecuted for many times for being religious and ethnic minorities, and now, in fact, we are the ones who discriminate others. That incident was a stereotype breaking in our society, in which the Marashlyan Photo Atelier had an important and right role.
What are the most important qualities which you appreciate in one another?
F. Engel – Tatev has a unique lightness for various issues, calmness and tranquility, which I don’t usually have. This seems to be a complementary factor. She is very understanding towards everyone, something which I don’t always display. She is like that towards me also. For me, she is the unique combination of femininity and intelligence, fair towards others and extremely responsible for her actions.
T. Manukyan – There is a relevant word in Armenian – ‘աշխարհաքաղաքացի’ [cosmopolitan].
I think, this describes him the best. Frank is very open for different cultures, I can say also for different religions and ideas. In my opinion, I have lots to learn from him in this regard. He has a wide outlook, and as a political figure I can say he is very determined in terms of his convictions. He says what he thinks, what many can dislike. He is among those who struggle for the rule of justice in this world. As a partner, I always mention he is the source of my emotional and intellectual supply.
Have you already decided the date and place of your wedding?
F. Engel – Yes, it is decided. It will be in Armenia and Artsakh. We will leave other details undisclosed yet.
Interview by Syuzi Muradyan
Photos by Mkhitary Khachatryan
- 11:04 Armenia soldier wounded in Tavush Province
- 10:50 Armenia’s defense ministry releases Armed Forces development 7-year program
- 10:16 US, Saudi Arabia to discuss how to make Russia “pay for Syria”
- 09:36 Candidates Tournament: Aronian, Mamedyarov to clash in round 9
- 23:51 Azeri recon UAV downed after violating Artsakh airspace
- 19:22 Artsakh State Minister, NSW premier participate in the event of Armenian Missionary Association
- 17:40 Dollar continues to decline in Armenia
- 17:13 Artsakh President congratulates Vladimir Putin on victory in Russian presidential election
- 16:49 Absence of international community’s counter response inspires Azerbaijan’s Aliyev – Armenian MFA
- 16:03 Tropical storm Eliakim kills 17 in Madagascar
- 15:26 Poland to ratify CEPA with accelerated procedure after it is ratified by Armenia
- 15:12 Job fair to be organized in Stepanakert
- 14:34 Mkhitaryan donates his car of the best athlete to Rehabilitation Center for wounded and disabled soldiers
- 14:15 Armenia President-elect expected to take oath of office at Yerevan sports, concert complex
- 12:24 Turkish-led forces oust Kurdish fighters from heart of Afrin
- 11:42 Brussels Airlines re-launches regular flights to Yerevan
- 10:53 Minsk to host 2018 Junior Eurovision Song Contest on November 25
- 10:12 12 Armenian candidates participate in Netherlands local elections
- 09:56 President Sargsyan congratulates Vladimir Putin on victory in Russian presidential election
- 09:53 Artsakh President visits St. Mary and Holy Cross Armenian Apostolic Churches in Washington
- 09:48 Australian wildfires destroy homes, hundreds of people flee
- 09:39 Putin wins Russian presidential election
- 09:35 Armenian community of America and our American friends are actively involved in international recognition of Artsakh — Artsakh President
- 12:57 11 civilians killed, dozens injured in Turkish air strikes on Afrin’s hospital
- 12:53 Russia summons British ambassador as it readies to expel diplomats
- 12:43 US' Trump, South Korea president vow to keep pressure on North Korea
- 12:20 Two ethnic Armenians gunned down in LA shooting
- 11:25 Lavrov: US intends to devalue Russia’s strategic nuclear capability
- 10:48 Artsakh delegation takes part in international tourism exhibition MITT
- 10:24 Russian nationals will not be able to cast votes at March 18 presidential polls in Ukraine
- 09:40 Artsakh President praises AAA's role in supporting Artsakh
- 09:38 Artsakh's Bako Sahakyan meets with members of Supreme Council of Ramkavar Azatakan Party
- 09:26 China's parliament re-elects Xi Jinping as president
- 09:10 World Chess Candidates Tournament 2018: Aronian defeated by So in round 6
- 18:19 Opening ceremony of memorial to missing persons takes place in Martakert
- 17:55 Arsenal to lock horns with CSKA Moscow
- 17:08 Dollar falling in Armenia
- 16:25 European Parliament passes resolution demanding Turkey withdraws troops from Syria
- 15:54 6 dead in Miami pedestrian bridge collapse
- 15:15 Princess of Thailand visits Matenadaran
- 14:54 Yerevan-Saratov flight makes emergency landing in Moscow due to fog
- 12:55 Artsakh State Minister's working visits kick off in Australia
- 12:20 For centuries Armenian people constituted unique part of Middle East mosaic, says FM Nalbandian
- 11:35 Lars highway open for traffic
- 10:42 Karabakh army soldier dies in car accident during training
- 10:12 Artsakh President visits Center for National Interest in Washington
- 10:09 Involvement of American Armenian community in the life of Artsakh was very much palpable —Artsakh President
- 10:03 Development projects of IT sphere to be given new impetus in Artsakh
- 10:00 Erdogan, Merkel discuss counter-terrorism over phone
- 09:42 U.S. Military Helicopter Crashes in Iraq With Seven Aboard
- 20:28 ‘Days of Artsakh in France’ Underway in Decines-Charpieu City
- 18:13 Photo Exhibition Dedicated to the 30th Anniversary of the Karabakh Movement Held in Strasbourg
- 17:44 Istanbul’s Sisli district renames street in honor of slain journalist Hrant Dink
- 17:32 Young Armenian scientist aims sky-high with revolutionary breakthrough invention in nanotechnology
- 17:13 6 minor quakes hit Armenia in past one week
- 16:52 PACE, OSCE/ODIHR to observe presidential elections in Azerbaijan
- 16:40 Dollar gains slight value in Armenia
- 16:14 Superman actor Dean Cain highlights need for recognition of Armenian Genocide in Israel
- 15:36 British expert doesn’t expect change of Azerbaijan's stance over NK conflict issue
- 14:52 ‘We discuss NK conflict with our partners’, says Russia’s foreign ministry spox
- 03.15.2018 Portrait made by Artsakh girl approved by world-renowned Stephen Hawking
- 03.16.2018 Karabakh army soldier dies in car accident during training
- 03.15.2018 Artsakh President: Cementing and deepening ties with US have always been and will remain among the fundamental directions of our foreign policy
- 03.14.2018 Teacher retraining courses to be organized in Artsakh
- 03.15.2018 President Sahakyan met with representatives of ANCA
- 03.13.2018 Arayik Harutyunyan participates at ARI annual meeting in Beirut, another 20 detached houses to be built in Aghavno, Kashatagh
- 03.15.2018 Young Armenian scientist aims sky-high with revolutionary breakthrough invention in nanotechnology
- 03.15.2018 ‘Days of Artsakh in France’ Underway in Decines-Charpieu City
- 03.15.2018 Monitoring conducted on Artsakh-Azerbaijan line of contact, Azerbaijani side doesn't lead OSCE mission to its front-line positions