From random meeting in Tatev Monastery to wedding: Love story of MEP Frank Engel and his Armenian fiancée
Recently media were focused on MEP Frank Engel from Luxembourg and his Armenian fiancée Tatev Manukyan, who lives in Belgium. She studied in the State University of Economics of Armenia and later continued her studies in Sweden’s Dalarna University.
STEPANAKERT, APRIL 21, ARTSAKHPRESS-ARMENPRESS:
She relocated to Belgium afterwards, and currently works in the AGBU Europe’s Brussels office.
In an exclusive interview with ARMENPRESS, Frank Engel and Tatev Manukyan presented their love story – from a random meeting in the Tatev Monastery to wedding planning.
Let’s start from the beginning. Where and how did you first meet?
F. Engel – Of course, I am already used to answering this question. Actually, this can be called a flight story. I was going to Mongolia to participate in the parliamentary assembly ahead of the EU-Asia summit. A rather short travel was scheduled, and I had to return to Armenia afterwards in order to be here on the Armenian Genocide anniversary day. There were some problems during the Istanbul-Ulan Bator flight, and we landed in Bishkek, where the passengers were requested to exit the plane. The bad thing was that no other flight was suggested, because we found out the weather conditions were really bad in Ulan Bator, and we didn’t even know when we would be able to reach it. There was nothing else left then cancelling it. I stayed in Bishkek for one day, and the next day I organized a flight to Yerevan. And it so happened that in Armenia I and Tatev coincidentally appeared in the same car, which was going to the Tatev Monastery. The monastery and the surrounding view were simply wonderful, perhaps this is what inspired us. The mysterious beautify of the two Tatevs (my bride and the monastery) were very harmonious.
T. Manukyan – Yes, this was in fact the time following the April War – the second half of April, when I arrived in Armenia for 10 days. I had asked a common friend of me and Frank to take me to Tatev Monastery, and after being in the same car with Frank, I found out that Frank had also requested the same person for the same favor prior to arriving in Armenia, who didn’t hesitate to send both of us to Tatev on the same car.
Speaking about intercultural dialogue, what new discoveries have you managed to do about each other as representatives of different nations?
F. Engel – I don’t know whether I’m the most typical representative of Luxembourg, but anyhow, Tatev, what have you discovered? Actually Tatev had never been to Luxembourg.
T. Manukyan – Really, I hadn’t been to Luxembourg. It was an entirely new discovery for me – the people, the country, I have already started to learn Luxembourgish. I can’t say the same about Frank, since he has more than discovered Armenia already. He told me once : “I have to take you, and you have to see your Fatherland and know it from end to end”. We drove 2500 kilometers in one day in Armenia and Artsakh, travelling in the north and south of Armenia and Artsakh – from Noyemberyan to Meghri, from Martakert to Hadrut.
I am often asked – “Did you show Frank Armenia?”, to which I respond smilingly, yes, Frank showed me Armenia.
F. Engel – By the way, on a white Niva, what any Armenian man must do [laughingly]. Yes, asking an Armenian woman on a date requires a bit more of a constructive approach than a representative of another nation, but I can say Tatev is the kind of person who completely matches me.
What will you say about language issues? If, of course those exists.
F. Engel – A bit time is necessary for me to finish my Armenian lessons and bring my language skill to a normal level. Armenian isn’t one of the easiest languages, in which case one can at least find some similarities with the languages I know. We speak English to each other. We also speak Dutch in Belgium, it is more convenient for communicating with Tatev’s family.
T. Manukyan – Sometimes I simply say – If in the future you want to understand your children, then you must learn Armenian. Our common languages are English, Dutch and French, while Armenian and Luxembourgish are yet to come.
F. Engel – Our children will of course speak also Armenian and Luxembourgish. Tatev in her turn is trying to learn Luxembourgish.
T. Manukyan – Yes, one of the upcoming goals of my life is learning Luxembourgish, because I see how much Frank respects my language and culture, and I have to show the same respect for his language and culture.
And how did your friends and family respond to your decision on being together?
T. Manukyan – They were very excited.
F. Engel – Really?
T. Manukyan – Perhaps you missed that part [laughing]
Why am I asking. Perhaps you’ve seen the photo of an Armenian woman wearing Armenian national clothes, with her black husband and their son, which was rather widely discussed among the public. Different things were said around the photo, which gave the reason to think about the somewhat environment of intolerance. I would like to know what you think about this issue?
F. Engel – But we also saw that even Armenians display more tolerance, when it’s about a black woman, in this case Serena Williams, and this doesn’t disturb anyone. In terms of the Luxembourg society, I haven’t noticed it to create any concern there, since there are many mixed marriages in Luxembourg.
T. Manukyan – I had heard about it, I had seen those negative comments. I have also read all comments regarding an article which was written about us, which were mostly positive, but I was asking myself why? Is it maybe because Frank is a public figure? This really angers me, because it shows the discriminative attitude which we have towards foreigners. During our history we have been persecuted for many times for being religious and ethnic minorities, and now, in fact, we are the ones who discriminate others. That incident was a stereotype breaking in our society, in which the Marashlyan Photo Atelier had an important and right role.
What are the most important qualities which you appreciate in one another?
F. Engel – Tatev has a unique lightness for various issues, calmness and tranquility, which I don’t usually have. This seems to be a complementary factor. She is very understanding towards everyone, something which I don’t always display. She is like that towards me also. For me, she is the unique combination of femininity and intelligence, fair towards others and extremely responsible for her actions.
T. Manukyan – There is a relevant word in Armenian – ‘աշխարհաքաղաքացի’ [cosmopolitan].
I think, this describes him the best. Frank is very open for different cultures, I can say also for different religions and ideas. In my opinion, I have lots to learn from him in this regard. He has a wide outlook, and as a political figure I can say he is very determined in terms of his convictions. He says what he thinks, what many can dislike. He is among those who struggle for the rule of justice in this world. As a partner, I always mention he is the source of my emotional and intellectual supply.
Have you already decided the date and place of your wedding?
F. Engel – Yes, it is decided. It will be in Armenia and Artsakh. We will leave other details undisclosed yet.
Interview by Syuzi Muradyan
Photos by Mkhitary Khachatryan
- 13:26 Hrachya Harutyunyan to be extradited from Russia to Armenia
- 12:50 India’s Vice President pays tribute to Armenian Genocide victims in Tsitsernakaberd Memorial
- 12:07 President Bako Sahakyan signed a decree on Posthumously awarding
- 11:48 Artsakh Foreign Minister visited the Republic of South Ossetia
- 10:45 Wherever we are on April 24, our hearts go out to the Armenian people. Maria Zakharova
- 10:37 Turkey unhappy with Trump statement on Armenian Genocide anniversary
- 09:58 Germany parliament vice speaker on Armenian Genocide: Recognition of truth helps to avoid hatred
- 09:44 Artsakh Defense Army soldier killed by Azerbaijani fire
- 19:56 Donald Trump: We remember those who suffered during Meds Yeghern
- 18:33 Frank Engel: President of Turkey should have perception of having peaceful neighborhood with Armenia
- 15:15 ‘I extend my compassion to Armenian people on 102nd anniversary of Genocide’ - Nadia Murad’s exclusive comment to ARMENPRESS
- 14:13 Garo Paylan: Every crime that goes unpunished causes recurrence of this crime
- 12:25 Armenian Genocide commemorative events are being held in Artsakh (Photos)
- 12:15 Bako Sahakyan honors Armenian Genocide victims
- 11:15 Armenian Genocide commemorative events to be held in Istanbul, Turkey
- 10:35 Azerbaijan fired from grenade launchers at night
- 10:11 Turkey must refuse to deceive itself and its people - Yetvart Danzikyan
- 09:48 Bako Sahakyan issues statement on 102nd anniversary of Armenian Genocide
- 23:22 Traditional torch march was held in Stepanakert (Photos)
- 12:29 Brad Sherman: Armenian Genocide denial is a part of genocide
- 10:36 Jennifer Lopez and Heidi Klum join KeepthePromise campaign
- 10:02 Wyoming recognizes Armenian Genocide
- 09:46 Azerbaijan fired over 520 shots at night
- 17:56 President Sahakyan visited the Martouni region
- 15:38 Armenia Investigative Committee: Soldier died during camp gathering
- 15:29 ICRC provides assistance for elderly lonely people and victims of mine explosions (Photos)
- 15:22 Francois Hollande to commemorate Armenian Genocide
- 14:39 Armenian FM meets with former Austrian president
- 14:34 Armenia MOD: Soldier has died
- 13:26 Possibility of adopting resolution on condemning Armenian Genocide under discussion in Czech Republic
- 13:08 Buenos Aires declares April 24 Day of Armenian Genocide commemoration
- 12:51 Artsakh Youth will participate in the 19th World Festival of Youth and Students held in Sochi
- 11:26 Vigen Sargsyan hopes to continue working as Armenia defense minister
- 10:52 From random meeting in Tatev Monastery to wedding: Love story of MEP Frank Engel and his Armenian fiancée
- 10:35 Lavrov: Putin to visit China
- 10:10 Artsakh's Ombudsman Ruben Melikyan presents annual report
- 09:53 Israeli Embassy: Consul is frequently visiting Alexander Lapshin
- 09:38 Azerbaijan used mortar at night
- 16:45 Armenia, Russia MFAs hold political consultations
- 14:55 Armenian samboists conquer five medals at European Sambo Championship among cadets
- 13:54 6 Armenians on Forbes’ list of the richest in Russia
- 13:19 Armenian Genocide is one of the greatest catastrophes of 20th century – says Terry George
- 12:32 Tillerson slams Iran nuclear deal as 'failed approach,' vows 'comprehensive review'
- 11:44 Exhibition of works of Armenian artists opens in Bursa, Turkey
- 09:26 Azerbaijan fired from sniper rifles at night
- 16:48 Zakharova doesn’t rule out possibility of contacts between FMs of Armenia, Russia and Azerbaijan
- 16:41 Dollar continues to fall in Armenia
- 15:18 Preliminary results of archaeological excavations implemented in the Iranian Upper Mosque of Shushi known
- 14:15 Permanent Representative of Artsakh to the USA gave a lecture at the Florida International University
- 13:58 Karabakh’s reunification with Armenia to be desirable solution for NK conflict – Marine Le Pen
- 13:47 Serbia greatly interested in enhancing relations with Armenia, says newly appointed Ambassador
- 13:27 France must assist int’l recognition of Armenian Genocide, says presidential candidate Marine Le Pen
- 12:16 Turkey’s FM blames OSCE and PACE observers on supporting terrorism
- 11:53 CSTO Military Committee session kicks off in Belarus
- 11:38 Wounded Artsakh soldier remains in serious condition
- 11:09 War scenario in NK conflict isn’t beneficial for Iran, says expert
- 09:48 President Sargsyan congratulates Yazidi community of Armenia on Meleke Taus
- 09:36 Azerbaijan used grenade launcher, sniper rifles at night
- 19:08 Soldier wounded in Artsakh, his condition is critical
- 17:32 Theresa May announces snap election in Britain
- 04.19.2017 Wounded Artsakh soldier remains in serious condition
- 04.21.2017 Armenia MOD: Soldier has died
- 04.25.2017 Artsakh Defense Army soldier killed by Azerbaijani fire
- 04.18.2017 Soldier wounded in Artsakh, his condition is critical
- 04.20.2017 Azerbaijan fired from sniper rifles at night
- 04.19.2017 Karabakh’s reunification with Armenia to be desirable solution for NK conflict – Marine Le Pen
- 04.19.2017 Azerbaijan used grenade launcher, sniper rifles at night
- 04.21.2017 From random meeting in Tatev Monastery to wedding: Love story of MEP Frank Engel and his Armenian fiancée
- 04.19.2017 Preliminary results of archaeological excavations implemented in the Iranian Upper Mosque of Shushi known
- 04.19.2017 France must assist int’l recognition of Armenian Genocide, says presidential candidate Marine Le Pen