Saturday 24.03.2018   13:03
ՀԱՅ   |   РУС   |   ENG

August 10, 2017  17:31

Death toll in China earthquake increases

Chinese monitors say they've detected multiple landslides but no major building collapses following a powerful earthquake in the country's mountainous southwest that killed at least 20 people and injured 431, The Associated Press reported.

STEPANAKERT, AUGUST 10, ARTSAKHPRESS: According to the source, authorities raised the death toll by one to 20 and injured by around 200 on Thursday. Six tourists and two local residents were known to be among the dead, and 18 people had serious injuries, local authorities said.

More than 60,000 people have been evacuated from the area amid continuing aftershocks, state media said. Most of the deaths and injuries were recorded in Zhangzha township, near Jiuzhaigou national park in Sichuan province that is listed by UNESCO as a world heritage site.

The quake knocked out electricity and sent boulders tumbling down steep mountainsides onto blocked roads, while Xinhua said its photographers on the scene reported extensive damage to scenic sites which include lakes, spectacular waterfalls and karst formations.

CCTV said 10,500 people had been moved from damaged buildings to emergency shelters.


See also

    Latest news

    All news »

    Like our Facebook page

    Total votes (235)  |  Other poll
    All rights reserved. © 2018
    When reprinting or broadcasting any materials from, hyperlink is obligatory.

    Our address: Artsakh Republic, Stepanakert, Azatamartikneri 40.
    Tel. number (+374) 960406.
    E-mail address: