Two Canadian MPs banned from Azerbaijan for visiting Karabakh
Two Canadian Conservative MPs Tony Clement and Rachael Harder have been banned from Azerbaijan for visiting Nagorno-Karabakh, according to a report by The Globe and Mail.
STEPANAKERT, SEPTEMBER 2, ARTSAKHPRESS: Azerbaijan's foreign ministry has accused the MPs of falling for the "propaganda of the Armenian side" and ignoring four resolutions of the United Nations Security Council.
The Conservative MPs are visiting the region on a trip paid for by One Free World International, a Toronto non-profit group headed by a Muslim-turned-Christian that advocates for persecuted minorities. They are accompanied by Armenian National Committee of Canada executive director Sevag Belian, who helped set up meetings with top government officials.
According to the source, Azerbaijan has lodged a protest with the Canadian government about the MPs' trip and placed them on its list of undesirable persons.
Azerbaijani foreign ministry chief spokesperson Hikmat Hajiyev told The Globe and Mail that the visit ‘is completely immoral and against the values of the Canadian government and Canadian society.’ “It is completely unacceptable,” he announced.
In a telephone interview from Armenia's capital of Yerevan on Friday, Mr. Clement said he was taking part in a documentary that is being produced by One Free World.
"I am not here endorsing anyone. I want both sides to have a negotiated settlement of the situation but I am here on a fact-finding and humanitarian mission along with Rachael Harder," Mr. Clement said.
However, he conceded that he accepts Armenia's claims that Azerbaijani forces have committed atrocities, citing beheadings and cutting off of the ears of Armenian soldiers.
"What I saw with my own eyes is very disturbing in terms of the atrocities that were committed by Azerbaijani forces. In terms of the political situation, I am sure I echo Global Affairs Canada when I say it is better to have a negotiated solution than a continuing war," Mr. Clement said.
A spokesperson for Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland did not directly criticize the two MPs, but made clear that the Canadian government does not wish to take sides in the territorial dispute.
“We fully support the [Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe's] efforts to forge a peaceful and comprehensive settlement between Armenia and Azerbaijan in the region," press secretary Adam Austen said. "A military solution is not the answer. This is a position we have communicated to the governments of both Armenia and Azerbaijan."
- 10:18 Downtown Yerevan street to be named after India
- 10:01 EPP supports signing of new agreement between EU and Armenia
- 09:58 Hayastan All-Armenian Fund’s Telethon 2017 raises 12.505.456 USD
- 00:38 Arayik Harutyunyan: Artsakh’s population highly appreciates the Fund’s activity
- 23:53 Bako Sahakyan's address on the occasion of the 2017 Telethon
- 17:59 Junior Eurovision 2017: Armenia’s Misha to sing while riding special skateboard
- 16:49 Dollar, euro continue “gaining strength” in Armenia
- 16:38 Artsakh soldier wounded in landmine explosion transported to Yerevan
- 16:31 Armenia to establish honorary consulate in Chicago
- 16:23 Armenia MOD: Azerbaijan army officer’s dead body detected at buffer zone
- 16:10 Armenian football team is the 90th in FIFA ranking
- 15:40 PM says ultimate goal to make Armenian wine an internationally recognized brand
- 15:15 Russian State Duma chairman cancels his visit to Azerbaijan
- 14:33 Armenia's Aronian draws with Svidler, still leads FIDE Grand Prix
- 14:13 Armenia official on Karabakh peace talks: If one party’s position is “either everything or nothing,” there will be nothing
- 13:25 Armenia President to head to Brussels
- 13:17 Armenia-EU agreement will be signed, the President will express special view
- 12:56 Hayastan All Armenian Fund launching Fruitful Artsakh Telethon today
- 12:07 Artsakh Minister of State in California, meets with senators and investors (video)
- 10:49 Artsakh President in Paris, meets with France-Artsakh friendship circle members
- 10:20 By the end of the year the first families will return to Talish
- 17:32 Artsakh GDP grows 16.5 % in January-September of 2017
- 15:00 “Fruitful Artsakh”: Expectations and wishes will depend on tomorrow’s Telethon
- 12:43 Soldier wounded in Artsakh landmine explosion is in extremely severe condition
- 12:34 Global oil prices on the rise
- 12:12 “The Last Inhabitant" nominated for the Best Film at the Toronto Film Festival
- 09:55 Karabakh MOD: 3 soldiers killed in landmine explosion
- 09:31 Bako Sahakyan: France has become a second homeland for hundreds of thousands of Armenians
- 17:24 Iran president declares end of ISIS
- 17:19 Lavrov has no excessive optimism about speedy resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 17:07 Arayik Harutyunyan holds a number of meetings in the US
- 16:24 Armenia president meets Lavrov
- 16:14 President Bako Sahakyan visits the town of Saint-Chamond
- 14:53 Reconstruction works to be launched in the main building of the Artsakh State University
- 12:15 A friendship declaration between Alfortville and the Artsakh town of Berdzor was signed
- 11:09 World oil prices on the decline
- 10:59 Fertility promotion program in Artsakh: 99 families to receive houses
- 10:37 Community centers are being built in three more villages in Hadrut
- 10:25 Bako Sahakyan: The organization of the Days of Artsakh in France will have an important contribution to the expansion of Artsakh’s cooperation with France
- 09:59 Archbishop Karekin Bekciyan sends letter to Erdogan
- 09:58 Putin and Assad meet in Sochi
- 09:17 Artsakh Republic President Bako Sahakyan arrives in the French town of Alfortville
- 21:56 Iran’s President to meet with Putin in Sochi
- 19:38 Karabakh representative attends reception in Burg-de-Peage
- 17:50 State Budget 2018 Debates Started in the National Assembly
- 17:28 Kremlin announces topics of Russia-Iran-Turkey summit
- 16:20 Armenia emergency minister heads to France on working visit
- 15:50 OSCE Secretary General says absolutely essential to strictly adhere to the 1994 ceasefire agreement in Karabakh
- 15:34 Edauard Sharmazanov: Artsakh Has the Same Right of Declaring Independent Statehood as Belarus, Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 14:49 Russia MFA: Karabakh conflict not profitable for anyone
- 13:00 Sharmazanov: Not condemning Armenian Genocide gave birth to Hitler’s Fascism
- 12:29 Lavrov: Russia-US cooperation did not suffer on Karabakh issue
- 11:57 The results and projects of “Eznik Mozyan Vocational School”
- 09:59 Karabakh President in France, visits Phonethon center in Paris
- 12:33 Armenian defense minister’s delegation completes visit to Canada
- 11:34 Moscow hosts exhibition of prominent Armenian sculptor Ara Harutyunyan’s artworks
- 11:30 Argentina president plane makes emergency landing
- 11:23 Russia, US do not reach agreement on investigation into chemical attacks in Syria
- 10:54 Newspaper: Russia politician - Baku wishes to drag Moscow into Karabakh plan
- 10:48 Armenian President receives Brazil’s FM
- 11.17.2017 President Bako Sahakyan partakes at the opening ceremony of the new gold processing center in Stepanakert
- 11.22.2017 Karabakh MOD: 3 soldiers killed in landmine explosion
- 11.17.2017 Armenia FM: Azerbaijan attempts to appear in sheep’s clothing will not succeed
- 11.17.2017 President of the National Assembly Convenes a Working Consultation
- 11.17.2017 Turkey withdraws 40 troops from NATO drills
- 11.17.2017 Sergey Minasyan named Armenia’s new Ambassador to Romania
- 11.20.2017 Edauard Sharmazanov: Artsakh Has the Same Right of Declaring Independent Statehood as Belarus, Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 11.17.2017 Dollar drops, euro goes up in Armenia
- 11.17.2017 FIDE Grand Prix: Aronian celebrates first victory