Aliyev family operated secret $3bn slush fund to bribe European politicians – investigation shows
An investigation shows that Azerbaijan's ruling elite operated a secret $2.8bn “slush fund” for two years to bribe European politicians and make luxury purchases, BBC reports.
STEPANAKERT, SEPTEMBER 5, ARTSAKHPRESS: The money was allegedly channelled through four UK-based opaque companies.
People said to have been paid include European politicians who adopted a favourable attitude to the government.
There is no suggestion that all the recipients were aware of the original source of the money, it added.
The secret fund, nicknamed the Azerbaijan Laundromat, operated for two years until 2014, according to the investigation, carried out by a consortium of European newspapers and published by the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP).
The origin of the money was unclear, the report said, but there was "ample evidence of its connection to the family of President Ilham Aliyev".
Baku hasn’t yet responded to this investigation.
At the time the scheme took place, Azerbaijan was being accused of systematic corruption, vote-rigging and abuses, including the jailing of opposition politicians, human rights activists and journalists.
Much of the money was said to have been paid to lobbyists, journalists, politicians and businessmen.
According to the OCCRP, the scheme seemed to have been successful in, for example, persuading the Parliamentary Assembly of Council of Europe to vote against a report critical of Azerbaijan in 2013.
The 47-member council - not part of the European Union - monitors compliance with the European Convention on Human Rights, and judges in Strasbourg enforce it.
The vote is currently under investigation and a report is expected by the end of the year.
The four opaque companies which the scheme used - two based in England and two in Scotland - have now been dissolved.
One of Europe's leading banks, the Danske Bank from Denmark, processed the payments to those companies via its branch office in Estonia. It admitted not doing enough to spot suspicious transactions.
Other cash funded luxuries, including private education for well-connected Azeri families living abroad, the investigation added.
- 13:22 Artsakh celebrates Stepanakert Day and the 94th anniversary of renaming of the city (Photos)
- 12:30 Iran Successfully Test-Fires New Ballistic Missile
- 10:47 2 subsequent quakes hit California
- 10:20 Armenian FM meets with OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs, Ambassador Kasprzyk
- 09:58 Arayik Haroutyunyan hosts delegation of Armenian community of Toronto
- 09:03 German film director's documentary film “Traces of War” premiered in Stepanakert
- 20:53 Artsakh FM receives intellectuals from Turkey
- 17:51 Trump: Kim Jong Un will be tested like never before
- 16:58 Armenia PM to visit Iran
- 16:13 Armenia MPs hold press conference in Azerbaijan
- 13:20 Armenian defense minister hosts delegation of US Congress
- 12:40 Armenia, Russia FMs meet in New York
- 12:33 North Korea Says Trump Would "Pay Dearly" for His Speech to the UN
- 12:29 Garo Paylan: I Want to Build a Bridge Between Our Countries
- 12:27 Britain Will Meet Financial Obligations After Brexit
- 10:59 Armenian foreign minister to hold meeting with Azerbaijani counterpart in New York Sep. 23
- 10:35 UN Security Council concerned over planned referendum in Kurdistan Region
- 09:34 Mexico earthquake: Death toll rises as search for survivors goes on
- 09:25 Erdoğan: Turkey will deploy troops inside Syria’s Idlib
- 15:41 Queen Elizabeth congratulates on Armenia Independence Day anniversary
- 14:33 Any change putting Artsakh’s security under risk is inadmissible – FM Mirzoyan
- 14:27 Putin congratulates Armenia President on Independence Day anniversary
- 14:14 Oath ceremony of the first-year students was held in the Artsakh State University. Photos
- 12:10 Serj Tankian called on his fans to watch the film about the Karabakh conflict
- 11:39 President Sahakyan visited the Yerablour Pantheon
- 11:18 Movses Hakobyan: Any weapon that Azerbaijan acquires is threat to Armenia and Karabakh
- 11:09 Armenia political elite visits Yerevan military pantheon on Independence Day
- 10:25 Global oil prices falling
- 09:06 Bako Sahakyan sent a congratulatory letter to Serzh Sargsyan on the Independence Day
- 17:26 China responds to Trump’s remark on North Korea
- 17:11 First Lady Rita Sargsyan hosts Armenian singers of New Wave 2017
- 16:08 The recognition of Artsakh is one of the main issues of our agenda. Frank Pallone
- 15:58 US Congressmen arrive in Artsakh
- 14:15 Armenia Parliament: No negotiation can prevail over Karabakh people’s free will
- 14:02 Deputy FM: Talks are simply a cover for Azerbaijan to build up its military power
- 12:25 Turkish citizen detained after trespassing Armenia border
- 12:21 Israeli PM calls either to change or cancel Iranian deal
- 11:01 Serzh Sargsyan attends reception given by US president
- 10:40 Armenian foreign minister to meet Azerbaijani counterpart in New York
- 10:11 Trump administration does not approve report on refugees
- 10:00 140 dead in Mexico earthquake
- 09:51 President Sargsyan meets with Polish counterpart
- 09:40 Armenia: Azerbaijan has no ground to present any claims towards Karabakh
- 11:37 US Senate panel adopts ANCA-backed measures supporting Artsakh and Armenia
- 09:28 Death toll in Mexico earthquake rises to 58
- 09:11 US lawmakers write Tillerson on Turkish security concerns at UN
- 16:51 Child and Teenage Creativity Center new building opens in Shushi (Photos)
- 16:08 Karen Karapetyan, Ambassador Świtalski discuss EU-funded projects in Armenia
- 15:40 European Parliament to scrutinize Azerbaijani money laundering scandal
- 13:57 Armenian St. Giragos Apostolic Church is desecrated in Turkey
- 11:34 Architectural company opened in Hadrout
- 10:46 The number of tourists visiting Artsakh increases
- 09:37 Trump intends to discuss trade and military cooperation with Kuwait’s emir
- 09:34 EU intends to tighten sanctions against North Korea
- 09:24 US to allocate additional $1.5mn for demining works in Karabakh
- 17:46 Macron: Ties With Turkey Should be Maintained
- 16:50 Artsakh's Government resigns
- 16:14 David Davis: Britain Will Negotiate a Transitional Arrangement With the European Union
- 15:52 Armenia FM to head to Estonia
- 13:43 Bako Sahakyan re-inaugurated
- 09.20.2017 First Lady Rita Sargsyan hosts Armenian singers of New Wave 2017
- 09.20.2017 US Congressmen arrive in Artsakh
- 09.20.2017 140 dead in Mexico earthquake
- 09.20.2017 Armenia Parliament: No negotiation can prevail over Karabakh people’s free will
- 09.20.2017 Armenian foreign minister to meet Azerbaijani counterpart in New York
- 09.20.2017 Armenia: Azerbaijan has no ground to present any claims towards Karabakh
- 09.20.2017 The recognition of Artsakh is one of the main issues of our agenda. Frank Pallone
- 09.21.2017 Bako Sahakyan sent a congratulatory letter to Serzh Sargsyan on the Independence Day
- 09.21.2017 Movses Hakobyan: Any weapon that Azerbaijan acquires is threat to Armenia and Karabakh