Archbishop Bekchian leaves Istanbul after patriarchal election fiasco
Archbishop Garegin Bekchian, whom Turkish authorities refused to recognize as elected patriarchal locum tenens of the Armenian Patriarchate of Istanbul, released a letter before leaving Turkey, Agos reports.
STEPANAKERT, FEBRUARY 13, ARTSAKHPRESS:“After serving abroad for more than 50 years, the reason of me coming to Turkey was to end the transition period which was lasting for 9 years. I thought it would be enough to proceed with faith and conscience in this matter, in order for our church and people to achieve success in the patriarchal election. Only now I understand how wrong I was,” Bekchian said in the letter.
He said that after assuming tenure he faced a shocking reality. “Most important being that from the very first day it was clear that the election process will not be able to be advanced transparently, under fair election rules. I don’t think it’s necessary to mention all examples. I neither want to remember nor remind those sad and sorrowing examples,” he said.
“The recent developments are not a consequence of one day. It is so unfortunate that his process, the target of which was seemingly I, was aimed to sabotage the 85th patriarchal elections, this was a result of a long lasting and planned campaign, which began from the very first day that I was elected as locum tenens,” he said, adding that he fears that all of this can even more divide the Armenian community.
The Archbishop mentioned that particularly after the letter from the interior ministry he is forced to leave Istanbul, and stressed that he isn’t a conflicting man by nature.
“My presence should not anyhow cause more damage to the Armenian community which already suffered damage”, he added.
“I decided to leave the country with a goal to begin a new service in the upcoming period, praying for my brother Archbishop Mesrop Mutafyan, who is ill for a long time, his dear mother Mary Mutafyan and you – my dear spiritual brothers”, Bekchian said in the letter.
The Patriarchal seat was declared vacant in 2016 due to the health condition of Patriarch Mutafyan. In March of 2017, Bekchyan was elected patriarchal locum tenens after arriving to Istanbul.
- 16:50 Baku café explosion kills two
- 15:58 Unfazed by charges, Turkey’s lionhearted Armenian MP Garo Paylan runs for office again
- 15:12 Two dead in Everest climbing attempt
- 14:46 President Sarkissian, Speaker of Parliament of Cyprus meet in Yerevan
- 13:57 Ethnic Armenian incumbent MP Selina Dogan not running for parliament in upcoming Turkey election
- 12:35 Armenian wrestler wins European Championship
- 10:23 Military investigates shooting of 19-year-old Private
- 09:58 Nicolas Maduro re-elected President of Venezuela
- 09:46 Turkey's Erdogan seeks votes in Bosnia after ban on campaigning elsewhere
- 23:45 Community center opened in Talish
- 12:39 Around 100,000 people expected in Windsor
- 11:52 Artsakh State Minister participates in opening ceremony of Getavan’s community center
- 11:37 Putin seeks common cause with Merkel over Trump
- 11:06 New York Times refers to photo project about Christian and Islamized Armenians in Turkey
- 10:58 Authorities: 10 dead, 10 injured in Texas school shooting
- 10:52 Armenia FM: Karabakh is the most important
- 10:29 Armenian MP of Turkey: Judging me will not force me to abandon fight for justice for genocide
- 10:12 First Armenian-American international congress of dentists to be held in Stepanakert
- 09:59 More than 100 killed in Cuba plane crash
- 09:25 President of Artsakh receives Armenian defense minister
- 21:23 State of Rhode Island passed a resolution on 30th anniversary of Sumgait Pogroms
- 21:17 Artsakh President meets with Armenian Foreign Minister
- 17:37 Artsakh leader receives delegation of Commission Regulating Public Services of Armenia
- 16:41 Defense, foreign ministers visit Armenia’s border in Nakhijevan direction
- 16:18 Putin favors status quo with new government lineup
- 14:49 Sergei Skripal discharged from hospital
- 14:28 Moscow does not rule out Russian, Georgian leaders meeting
- 13:55 Artsakh President participates in presentation of Artsakh carpets
- 13:52 Washington wants to create global coalition against Iran
- 12:46 The Armenian ®Tag presented in local, Russian, and American markets
- 12:40 Artsakh State Minister suggests Robert Nazaryan perform investigations in the spheres of communication and telecommunication in Artsakh
- 11:01 PM Pashinyan’s pick for economic revival says will visit Armenia “at convenient time”
- 10:08 Gina Haspel becomes first woman director of CIA
- 09:28 Armenian defense minister introduces situation in Artsakh-Azerbaijan line of contact to Ambassador Kasprzyk
- 09:24 Martakert and Bourj Hammoud Declared Twin Towns
- 17:34 Investigation launched by Article 301 of Turkish Penal Code against Garo Paylan for using “Genocide” word
- 17:12 Defense minister Tonoyan holds meeting with CSTO Secretary General
- 16:54 Armenia's NSS chief attends CIS meeting in Moscow
- 16:40 European Parliament: No deal with Azerbaijan without respect of EU values
- 15:56 Doctors of “Arabkir” medical complex conduct free examinations in Stepanakert
- 15:47 Mher Ohanyan appointed head of Martuni region
- 15:29 Armenian FM receives CSTO Secretary General
- 15:07 PM Pashinyan comments on possible meeting with Serzh Sargsyan
- 14:42 All interests of Armenia taken into account in EEU-Iran agreement, says PM Pashinyan
- 14:06 American-Armenian Garnik Sargsyan to perform solo concert in Stepanakert
- 13:43 Speaker of Parliament of Armenia holds phone talk with Speaker of Russian Federation Council
- 13:17 Events dedicated to International Museum Day being planned in Artsakh
- 13:04 Israel hits Hamas targets in Gaza - IDF
- 12:04 MFA: Armenia is committed to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 10:39 EEU-Iran interim agreement to open new opportunities for Armenian producers, says Deputy PM Tigran Avinyan
- 10:14 U.N. has 'collapsed' in the face of Gaza violence, says Turkey's Erdogan
- 10:01 EAEU, Iran sign provisional free trade zone agreement
- 09:23 Saudi Arabia and the other members of the Gulf Cooperation Council have put ten Hezbollah leaders on the list of terrorists, reported the Saudi Press Agency.
- 09:23 Armenia's Foreign Ministry concerned over recent events in Gaza Strip
- 18:26 Artsakh President receives chief executive officer of "HALO Trust"
- 18:21 Foreign Minister of Artsakh receives Chief Executive Officer of HALO Trust
- 17:34 Israel freezes Turkish agricultural imports after ambassador’s expulsion
- 16:07 Armenian military CBRN specialists participate in Russia expert meetings
- 15:58 Stepanakert-Shushi ropeway, children’s amusement park in Shushi, Artsakh State Minister on new projects
- 15:40 Defense minister holds consultation over complaint of officers of military commissariats
- 05.16.2018 Stepanakert-Shushi ropeway, children’s amusement park in Shushi, Artsakh State Minister on new projects
- 05.17.2018 Mher Ohanyan appointed head of Martuni region
- 05.15.2018 Tickets of air festival to be held in Stepanakert airport being sold
- 05.17.2018 American-Armenian Garnik Sargsyan to perform solo concert in Stepanakert
- 05.18.2018 Artsakh State Minister suggests Robert Nazaryan perform investigations in the spheres of communication and telecommunication in Artsakh
- 05.17.2018 PM Pashinyan comments on possible meeting with Serzh Sargsyan
- 05.17.2018 Doctors of “Arabkir” medical complex conduct free examinations in Stepanakert
- 05.15.2018 Artsakh President receives head of General Staff of Armenia Armed forces
- 05.18.2018 Defense, foreign ministers visit Armenia’s border in Nakhijevan direction