Babayan: Claim of torturing Asgarov and Guliyev is intentionally trumped-up story
The allegations of subjecting Azerbaijani citizens Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev to “moral and physical tortures” are nothing but a deliberate fabrication.
STEPANAKERT, MARCH 10, ARTSAKHPRESS:Davit Babayan, Head of the Central Information Department of the Office of the President of the Republic of Artsakh and Deputy Head of the NKR President’s Office, told the aforementioned to Armenian News-NEWS.am. He noted this commenting on a respective statement by an organization called International Human Rights Defence Committee (CIPDH).
“It can be assumed from the style of that statement publicized in Azerbaijani media that this organization is registered in [Azerbaijan’s] Sumgait [town], or [capital city] Baku,” Babayan stressed. “It’s visible with the naked eye, too [that], the statement is false, absorbed with Azerbaijani oil or caviar.
“The ICRC [International Committee of the Red Cross] conducts monitoring of the custody and health condition of the mentioned persons, and no trace of torture was found.”
At the same time he recalled the numerous violations of human rights in Azerbaijan, especially toward national minorities, captives, and detainees.
Azerbaijani citizens Shahbaz Guliyev (born in 1968), Dilgam Asgarov (born in 1960), and Hasan Hasanov—who was killed by the Republic of Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh Republic/NKR) armed forces while rendering these saboteurs ineffective—had illegally crossed the NKR state border on June 29, 2014, and they were armed with weapons and ammunition. The three had entered the territory of the Shahumyan Region of Karabakh, and as spies, to collect information and carry out espionage.
On July 4, 2014, they had kidnapped and subsequently murdered Karabakh citizen Smbat Tsakanyan, 17, whose body was found on July 15, 2014, and with gunshot wounds, in a forest at the Shahumyan Region.
In addition, on the evening of July 11, 2014, Hasanov had killed Armenia capital city Yerevan resident Sargis Abrahamyan (born in 1971), and severely wounded Armenia’s Dzoraghbyur village resident Karine Davtyan, on the Vardenis-Karvachar Highway. Hasanov was armed and he resisted arrest; as a result, he was neutralized by the NKR special forces. Guliyev and Asgarov, on the other hand, were detained, and they faced trial in the NKR.
Asgarov was charged with espionage; unauthorized border trespass; kidnapping and violence against a minor, committed by an organized group; murder committed by an organized group motivated by ethnic hatred; and attempt of murder of two persons, committed by an organized group, motivated by ethnic hatred.
Guliyev was charged with espionage; unauthorized border trespass; kidnapping and violence against a minor, committed by an organized group; and murder committed by an organized group motivated by ethnic hatred.
And on December 29, 2014, the First Instance General Jurisdiction Court of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic sentenced Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev to life and 22 years, respectively, in prison.
- 17:53 British Council in Russia ceases activity
- 17:31 Providing aid to Armenia and Artsakh discussed at US Congress hearings
- 17:25 Dollar falls, draws near AMD 480 threshold in Armenia
- 16:37 Armenian FM to attend preparatory meeting of La Francophonie economic forum in Paris
- 15:34 Photography exhibition dedicated to Artsakh Movement to be organized in Stepanakert
- 15:03 Armenia, Israel to rule out income and property double taxation
- 14:29 Armenian President holds farewell meeting with Ambassador of Italy
- 13:27 Armenian convicted in US bank fraud
- 13:11 President of Artsakh meets with Lebanese Armenian business community in Beirut
- 11:54 Mkhitaryan receives Armenia’s Best Player of the Year award
- 11:47 “Tufenkian” foundation sets up persimmon orchard in Artsakh village
- 11:06 Germany deports 50 Georgian nationals
- 10:50 Belarus leader Alexander Lukashenko to arrive in Georgia on official visit
- 10:24 Peruvian President Kuczynski resigns amid corruption scandal
- 09:41 Artsakh President partakes at opening ceremony of Independence Monument in Antelias
- 09:19 Levon Aronian to clash with ex-world champ Kramnik in 10th round of Candidates Tournament
- 08:44 Two Argentine universities suspend denialist conferences organized by Ankara university
- 19:37 Armenian Bar Association legal interns to volunteer with Artsakh Human Rights Ombudsman in Stepanakert
- 18:29 In Beirut Artsakh President met with leading staff of AGBU Lebanon local body
- 18:09 Artsakh President meets with representatives of Armenian Revolutionary Federation in Beirut
- 17:55 Artsakh Minister of State meets with senators in Australian Senate
- 16:35 New residential building to be put into operation in Michnavan, Kashatagh
- 16:05 National Defense Research University launches review of Armenia’s National Security Strategy
- 15:19 Works on erecting statue of Gregory of Narek completed in Vatican: Ambassador Minasyan releases details
- 14:57 Israel admits bombing suspected Syrian nuclear reactor in 2007, warns Iran
- 14:33 President Sargsyan congratulates Iran’s Rouhani on Nowruz
- 12:58 World Poetry Day marked in Stepanakert
- 12:55 Azeri regime-owned bank executive arrested in US, faces 125 years sentence
- 12:16 In Antelias Artsakh President partkates at ceremony dedicted to 100th anniversary of Armenia's independence
- 10:57 Artsakh’s President meets Catholicos Aram I of Great House of Cilicia in Lebanon
- 10:24 93-year-old Charles Aznavour to perform live in Japan
- 09:26 Trump not ruling out meeting with Putin 'in the not too distant future'
- 09:23 Delagation headed by Artsakh President arrived in Lebanon
- 19:11 Screening of a Film Dedicated to the 30th Anniversary of the Karabakh Movement Held in Brussels
- 18:48 Artsakh State Minister visits number of enterprises in Australia
- 17:54 Shooting reported at Great Mills High School in Maryland, USA
- 16:39 “Russian Speech Days” project launched in Artsakh (Photos)
- 16:11 Armenia-Italy trade turnover increases by 25%: PM holds meeting with Italian Ambassador
- 15:46 Escalations on Artsakh frontline not absolutely ruled out – Armenian analyst
- 14:58 Yerevan-Tver bus crash victim identified
- 14:15 Three people injured in Armenian bus crash in Russia are in serious condition
- 12:57 Armenia passenger van involved in major crash in Russia, there are dead and injured
- 12:48 Charity fundraising dinner entitled “Karvachar: Let’s rebuild Artsakh together” takes place in Glendale
- 12:44 Francophonie Parliamentary Assembly session kicks off in Armenia
- 12:06 UN member states celebrate March 20 as International Day of Happiness
- 11:04 Armenia soldier wounded in Tavush Province
- 10:50 Armenia’s defense ministry releases Armed Forces development 7-year program
- 10:16 US, Saudi Arabia to discuss how to make Russia “pay for Syria”
- 09:36 Candidates Tournament: Aronian, Mamedyarov to clash in round 9
- 23:51 Azeri recon UAV downed after violating Artsakh airspace
- 19:22 Artsakh State Minister, NSW premier participate in the event of Armenian Missionary Association
- 17:40 Dollar continues to decline in Armenia
- 17:13 Artsakh President congratulates Vladimir Putin on victory in Russian presidential election
- 16:49 Absence of international community’s counter response inspires Azerbaijan’s Aliyev – Armenian MFA
- 16:03 Tropical storm Eliakim kills 17 in Madagascar
- 15:26 Poland to ratify CEPA with accelerated procedure after it is ratified by Armenia
- 15:12 Job fair to be organized in Stepanakert
- 14:34 Mkhitaryan donates his car of the best athlete to Rehabilitation Center for wounded and disabled soldiers
- 14:15 Armenia President-elect expected to take oath of office at Yerevan sports, concert complex
- 12:24 Turkish-led forces oust Kurdish fighters from heart of Afrin
- 03.19.2018 Azeri recon UAV downed after violating Artsakh airspace
- 03.16.2018 Karabakh army soldier dies in car accident during training
- 03.15.2018 ‘Days of Artsakh in France’ Underway in Decines-Charpieu City
- 03.16.2018 Yerevan-Saratov flight makes emergency landing in Moscow due to fog
- 03.16.2018 Involvement of American Armenian community in the life of Artsakh was very much palpable —Artsakh President
- 03.16.2018 Princess of Thailand visits Matenadaran
- 03.17.2018 Artsakh delegation takes part in international tourism exhibition MITT
- 03.17.2018 Artsakh President praises AAA's role in supporting Artsakh
- 03.16.2018 Artsakh President visits Center for National Interest in Washington