Iran’s foreign minister on Friday questioned U.S. plans for a coalition for a “peaceful resolution” in the Middle East while listing repeated Iranian diplomatic initiatives, Reuters reported.
Iran's Zarif questions U.S. coalition for 'peaceful resolution' in Middle East
STEPANAKERT, SEPTEMBER 20, ARTSAKHPRESS: “Coalition for Peaceful Resolution?,” Mohammad Javad Zarif said in a statement on Twitter, and listed eight diplomatic initiatives by Iran since 1985, including a peace plan for Yemen in 2015, and a regional non-aggression pact for the Gulf region proposed earlier this year.
The United States said on Thursday it was building a coalition to deter Iranian threats following a weekend attack on Saudi Arabian oil facilities.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the United States was seeking to build a “coalition aimed at achieving peace and a peaceful resolution”.
In another tweet, Zarif accused the United States of valuing oil more than people in the Middle East, before leaving for New York for the annual gathering of world leaders at the United Nations next week, state media said.
Pompeo did not provide details about the coalition proposed by the United States.
The United States has, however, been trying to create a global maritime security alliance since attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf.