We have a more difficult-to-control Turkey as result of referendum, says Davutoglu’s chief advisor Etienne Mahchupian
The Turkish constitutional referendum results lead the country on a path where the country will be very difficult to control, Etienne Mahchupian, Istanbul-Armenian intellectual, chief advisor of Turkey’s former PM Ahmet Davutolgu told Al Jazeera.
STEPANAKERT, APRIL 17, ARTSAKHPRESS: “The two parties which presented the constitutional changes proposal jave over 63% votes jointly, however they managed to get only 51% with this referendum. The AKP- MHP coalition failed to give a desirable result. They lost three major cities. All this leads us to a difficult-to-control Turkey”, Mahchupian said.
He stressed that on one hand they will have one person having all powers in his hand, therefore bearing the entire responsibility, and a Cabinet formed around him, a system which have significant impact on both the judicial and legislative systems.
“This situation, frankly speaking, doesn’t seem reasonable. Viewing from the political perspective we see that we have suffered a loss of prudence in Turkey. I am concerned that all this will have negative consequences, which Turkey won’t be able to eliminate easily. The restoration of these consequences might require very long time”, he said.
He also touched upon the close results, saying that a bit more than 50% cannot be considered to be sufficient for constitutional changes.
“We are changing the rules of game, while the half of the society doesn’t wanna play under those rules. Forcing something upon this half can have severe public and political consequences”, he said.
Mahchupian said the results are positive for the Nationalist Movement Party MHP, mentioning that the party has become an important partner of the ruling party.
“From now on the AKP will show it is condemned to MHP. MHP emerged as a winner in this. AKP lost, because what it could have achieved on its own, it achieved with someone else. AKP must learn a lesson from this. As someone who has supported from the beginning and is supporting the AKP, I say this was the biggest mistake of the party up to now”, he said.
- 13:03 Iran vows 'expected and unexpected' moves if U.S. exits deal
- 12:42 Yerevan Police Department issues warning to demonstrators
- 12:21 PM Serzh Sargsyan calls on opposition MP Nikol Pashinyan for immediate political dialogue and negotiations
- 11:29 Artsakh Parliament adopts law "On the Chamber of Commerce and Industry"
- 11:21 Trump, France's Macron to discuss Iran nuclear deal next week
- 11:04 Garo Paylan calls on Turkish parliament to recognize the Armenian Genocide
- 10:47 Armenia records unprecedented economic activation growth
- 10:38 OSCE PA human rights Chair urges restraint, dialogue in Armenia
- 10:03 We asses inadmissible all the steps that can be harmful for the country - members of Armenia’s Chess team support Serzh Sargsyan
- 09:58 Nikol Pashinyan presents preconditions for dialogue with authorities
- 09:49 Vartkes Mahdessian: Turkey continues denying Armenian Genocide, fears legal consequences will follow
- 09:33 At least three dead, including police officer, in Nicaragua protests
- 09:20 North Korea says it will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 17:53 President highlights regular and frequent visits of Diaspora youth to Artsakh
- 17:27 Blogger Lapshin to deliver remarks at PACE on violations of his rights by Azerbaijan
- 17:15 Arsene Wenger to leave Arsenal by end of the season
- 17:05 Artsakh presented at “InTour Expo” international tourism exhibition
- 16:40 Yerevan-Lyon first direct flight launched
- 16:33 FM Lavrov comments on US stance on supply of S-400 Russian missile systems to Turkey
- 15:50 We plan to spread ARI in Armenian colonies of South America, State Minister
- 15:48 North and South Koreas open hotline between leaders
- 15:45 Belgian deputies: Visiting Artsakh is not a crime
- 15:44 PM Sargsyan, Armenian Catholicos discuss ongoing demonstrations in Yerevan
- 14:32 LA City Council members commemorate Armenian Genocide
- 14:32 World War II bomb disposal to force massive evacuation in central Berlin
- 14:25 US Senators threaten Turkey with sanctions if Pastor Andrew Brunson is not released
- 13:51 President of Artsakh receives winners of Armenia Men's Basketball League A championship
- 13:00 Artsakh State Minister receives head of Armenia's state service for food safety
- 12:52 PM Sargsyan unveils plans to increase pensions, minimum salary in Armenia from Jan. 1
- 12:31 Working day of April 30 to be moved to May 5 in Artsakh
- 12:17 Austria says will bar Turkish politicians from campaigning on its soil
- 12:04 Russia says Trump invited Putin to U.S. during phone call
- 12:02 Man linked to 9/11 attacks on U.S. captured in Syria: Pentagon
- 11:51 Russian Foreign Ministry evacuated over bomb threat
- 11:29 Nearly 40 people slightly injured in Austrian train accident
- 10:53 Azerbaijani leadership with morbid obsession ignores or distorts everything - deputy foreign minister
- 10:34 EU granted 500,000 people asylum protection in 2017
- 10:13 Syria’s Assad returns Legion d'honneur 2001 award to France
- 10:10 Catholicos Aram I of Great House of Cilicia arrives in Armenia
- 09:42 US concerned over Turkey’s ability to hold snap elections during state of emergency
- 09:33 There is no desire to use measures of compulsion, but permissiveness cannot prevail in the country – Serzh Sargsyan speaks about Yerevan rallies
- 09:11 Azerbaijan should get rid of false illusions for settling NK conflict – PM Serzh Sargsyan
- 18:15 Number of tourists visiting Artsakh’s Vank village increases, head of the community (photos)
- 17:44 South Korea's Moon says North seeking 'complete denuclearization'
- 16:59 Finance, territorial administration, economy ministers re-appointed by President
- 16:45 Dollar drop not stopping in Armenia
- 16:30 Economic conference to be held in Stepanakert, foreign businessmen will participate
- 15:29 Special attention is paid to solving social problems of servicemen, President of Artsakh
- 14:58 Artsakh Defense Army replenished with new equipment, Artsakh President
- 14:51 Hovhannes Nikoghosyan appointed spokesperson of Prime Minister
- 14:50 Mkhitaryan back on track after injury-related hiatus
- 14:01 PM Medvedev highlights Serzh Sargsyan’s personal contribution to development of Armenian- Russian allied relations
- 13:07 Kyrgyz president dismisses republic’s cabinet
- 12:44 Kyrgyzstan’s parliament votes no-confident to republic’s cabinet
- 11:50 EU on Yerevan protests: All parties involved should show restraint and responsibility
- 11:48 5.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern Iran
- 11:47 Latvian parliament ratifies EU-Armenia agreement
- 11:42 Armenia president signs EU-Armenia agreement
- 11:27 Turkey extends ongoing state of emergency for 7th consecutive time
- 10:54 Hundreds flee homes as 4.4 magnitude quake strikes Indonesia
- 04.16.2018 Soldier dies in one of military units of Artsakh’s Defense Army
- 04.19.2018 Artsakh Defense Army replenished with new equipment, Artsakh President
- 04.18.2018 Armenian national security neutralizes bank account scamming syndicate
- 04.20.2018 President of Artsakh receives winners of Armenia Men's Basketball League A championship
- 04.17.2018 Armenian lawmakers elect Serzh Sargsyan as Prime Minister in historic vote
- 04.18.2018 Artsakh soldier killed in landmine explosion
- 04.18.2018 “Yerevan, you are wonderful” – Alexander Lapshin arrives in Armenia for 1st time after highly publicized Baku jailing
- 04.18.2018 Artsakh denies opening gunfire, wounding Azerbaijani villager
- 04.19.2018 Special attention is paid to solving social problems of servicemen, President of Artsakh