British MPs demand probe into Azerbaijani money laundering scheme, Aliyev blames Armenians again
Opposition politicians of the United Kingdom urged Prime Minister Theresa May to launch an investigation into the Azerbaijani money laundering case and the involvement of British companies in the matter, the Guardian reports.
STEPANAKERT, SEPTEMBER 6, ARTSAKHPRESS: In response to the opposition’s demand, May’s spokesperson said the national crime agency will look into the published materials. “The agency will examine whether or not there is a need for an investigation”, the spokesperson said.
Tim Farron, the former Liberal Democrat leader, led calls for an inquiry, saying this was what happened “when the corporate landscape is too lightly regulated”.
“Thanks to the Guardian investigation we learn of something called the Azerbaijani Laundromat,” he said. “But now is the time to wash some fairly dirty laundry in public and find out exactly who paid money to whom and why.
“We need a full investigation to see that dirty money has not been used to buy influence in the UK. The Azerbaijani government is guilty of systematic human rights abuses and it would appear the regime has been making payments on an industrial scale.”
Lawmaker Margaret Hodge said: “Until we know who owns companies and properties in Britain and in the tax havens we control, such unacceptable practices will continue and Britain will be culpable because of the government’s failure to act.”
Peter Dowd, Labour’s chief secretary to the Treasury, said: “Money laundering hurts our economy, steals from others and corrupts our society. The financial system should effectively and efficiently provide investment that benefits the whole economy, not boost the offshore bank balances of plutocrats and criminals here and abroad”.
One London-based beneficiary of the Laundromat, Jovdat Guliyev, resigned on Monday from the Anglo-Azerbaijani Society. Guliyev received nearly £400,000 from the scheme. A former British Petroleum employee, he works for Azerbaijan’s state oil company. The society’s co-chair, Lord German, said Guliyev quit nine minutes after the Guardian’s story went online.
It is noteworthy that Baku has responded very loudly to this yet another accusation of illicit operations of the Aliyev family. Azerbaijan directly accused the Guardian, and the Armenian Diaspora.
Ali Hasanov, the Azeri president’s aide, said that the Aliyev regime “has become a victim of the smear campaign of the British intelligence, the Armenian Diaspora and the US”.
“When has The Guardian written the truth about Azerbaijan? This newspaper is known for its anti-Azerbaijani nature for many years”, Hasanov said.
Moreover, the Azeri president’s press office blamed George Soros and Armenian lobbyists for the revelations.
“The fact that one of the authors of the article is Armenian Dina Nahapetyan, proves that the Armenian lobby stands behind these accusations”, the Azeri officials said.
Immediately after the revelations, Azerbaijani authorities blocked access to the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project website. It was this very project that published details of the so-called Azerbaijani Laundromat scheme.
The money was allegedly channelled through four UK-based opaque companies.
People said to have been paid include European politicians who adopted a favourable attitude to the government.
There is no suggestion that all the recipients were aware of the original source of the money, it added.
The secret fund, nicknamed the Azerbaijan Laundromat, operated for two years until 2014, according to the investigation, carried out by a consortium of European newspapers and published by the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP).
The origin of the money was unclear, the report said, but there was "ample evidence of its connection to the family of President Ilham Aliyev".
- 13:22 Artsakh celebrates Stepanakert Day and the 94th anniversary of renaming of the city (Photos)
- 12:30 Iran Successfully Test-Fires New Ballistic Missile
- 10:47 2 subsequent quakes hit California
- 10:20 Armenian FM meets with OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs, Ambassador Kasprzyk
- 09:58 Arayik Haroutyunyan hosts delegation of Armenian community of Toronto
- 09:03 German film director's documentary film “Traces of War” premiered in Stepanakert
- 20:53 Artsakh FM receives intellectuals from Turkey
- 17:51 Trump: Kim Jong Un will be tested like never before
- 16:58 Armenia PM to visit Iran
- 16:13 Armenia MPs hold press conference in Azerbaijan
- 13:20 Armenian defense minister hosts delegation of US Congress
- 12:40 Armenia, Russia FMs meet in New York
- 12:33 North Korea Says Trump Would "Pay Dearly" for His Speech to the UN
- 12:29 Garo Paylan: I Want to Build a Bridge Between Our Countries
- 12:27 Britain Will Meet Financial Obligations After Brexit
- 10:59 Armenian foreign minister to hold meeting with Azerbaijani counterpart in New York Sep. 23
- 10:35 UN Security Council concerned over planned referendum in Kurdistan Region
- 09:34 Mexico earthquake: Death toll rises as search for survivors goes on
- 09:25 Erdoğan: Turkey will deploy troops inside Syria’s Idlib
- 15:41 Queen Elizabeth congratulates on Armenia Independence Day anniversary
- 14:33 Any change putting Artsakh’s security under risk is inadmissible – FM Mirzoyan
- 14:27 Putin congratulates Armenia President on Independence Day anniversary
- 14:14 Oath ceremony of the first-year students was held in the Artsakh State University. Photos
- 12:10 Serj Tankian called on his fans to watch the film about the Karabakh conflict
- 11:39 President Sahakyan visited the Yerablour Pantheon
- 11:18 Movses Hakobyan: Any weapon that Azerbaijan acquires is threat to Armenia and Karabakh
- 11:09 Armenia political elite visits Yerevan military pantheon on Independence Day
- 10:25 Global oil prices falling
- 09:06 Bako Sahakyan sent a congratulatory letter to Serzh Sargsyan on the Independence Day
- 17:26 China responds to Trump’s remark on North Korea
- 17:11 First Lady Rita Sargsyan hosts Armenian singers of New Wave 2017
- 16:08 The recognition of Artsakh is one of the main issues of our agenda. Frank Pallone
- 15:58 US Congressmen arrive in Artsakh
- 14:15 Armenia Parliament: No negotiation can prevail over Karabakh people’s free will
- 14:02 Deputy FM: Talks are simply a cover for Azerbaijan to build up its military power
- 12:25 Turkish citizen detained after trespassing Armenia border
- 12:21 Israeli PM calls either to change or cancel Iranian deal
- 11:01 Serzh Sargsyan attends reception given by US president
- 10:40 Armenian foreign minister to meet Azerbaijani counterpart in New York
- 10:11 Trump administration does not approve report on refugees
- 10:00 140 dead in Mexico earthquake
- 09:51 President Sargsyan meets with Polish counterpart
- 09:40 Armenia: Azerbaijan has no ground to present any claims towards Karabakh
- 11:37 US Senate panel adopts ANCA-backed measures supporting Artsakh and Armenia
- 09:28 Death toll in Mexico earthquake rises to 58
- 09:11 US lawmakers write Tillerson on Turkish security concerns at UN
- 16:51 Child and Teenage Creativity Center new building opens in Shushi (Photos)
- 16:08 Karen Karapetyan, Ambassador Świtalski discuss EU-funded projects in Armenia
- 15:40 European Parliament to scrutinize Azerbaijani money laundering scandal
- 13:57 Armenian St. Giragos Apostolic Church is desecrated in Turkey
- 11:34 Architectural company opened in Hadrout
- 10:46 The number of tourists visiting Artsakh increases
- 09:37 Trump intends to discuss trade and military cooperation with Kuwait’s emir
- 09:34 EU intends to tighten sanctions against North Korea
- 09:24 US to allocate additional $1.5mn for demining works in Karabakh
- 17:46 Macron: Ties With Turkey Should be Maintained
- 16:50 Artsakh's Government resigns
- 16:14 David Davis: Britain Will Negotiate a Transitional Arrangement With the European Union
- 15:52 Armenia FM to head to Estonia
- 13:43 Bako Sahakyan re-inaugurated
- 09.20.2017 First Lady Rita Sargsyan hosts Armenian singers of New Wave 2017
- 09.20.2017 US Congressmen arrive in Artsakh
- 09.20.2017 140 dead in Mexico earthquake
- 09.20.2017 Armenia Parliament: No negotiation can prevail over Karabakh people’s free will
- 09.20.2017 Armenian foreign minister to meet Azerbaijani counterpart in New York
- 09.20.2017 Armenia: Azerbaijan has no ground to present any claims towards Karabakh
- 09.20.2017 The recognition of Artsakh is one of the main issues of our agenda. Frank Pallone
- 09.21.2017 Bako Sahakyan sent a congratulatory letter to Serzh Sargsyan on the Independence Day
- 09.21.2017 Movses Hakobyan: Any weapon that Azerbaijan acquires is threat to Armenia and Karabakh