British MPs demand probe into Azerbaijani money laundering scheme, Aliyev blames Armenians again
Opposition politicians of the United Kingdom urged Prime Minister Theresa May to launch an investigation into the Azerbaijani money laundering case and the involvement of British companies in the matter, the Guardian reports.
STEPANAKERT, SEPTEMBER 6, ARTSAKHPRESS: In response to the opposition’s demand, May’s spokesperson said the national crime agency will look into the published materials. “The agency will examine whether or not there is a need for an investigation”, the spokesperson said.
Tim Farron, the former Liberal Democrat leader, led calls for an inquiry, saying this was what happened “when the corporate landscape is too lightly regulated”.
“Thanks to the Guardian investigation we learn of something called the Azerbaijani Laundromat,” he said. “But now is the time to wash some fairly dirty laundry in public and find out exactly who paid money to whom and why.
“We need a full investigation to see that dirty money has not been used to buy influence in the UK. The Azerbaijani government is guilty of systematic human rights abuses and it would appear the regime has been making payments on an industrial scale.”
Lawmaker Margaret Hodge said: “Until we know who owns companies and properties in Britain and in the tax havens we control, such unacceptable practices will continue and Britain will be culpable because of the government’s failure to act.”
Peter Dowd, Labour’s chief secretary to the Treasury, said: “Money laundering hurts our economy, steals from others and corrupts our society. The financial system should effectively and efficiently provide investment that benefits the whole economy, not boost the offshore bank balances of plutocrats and criminals here and abroad”.
One London-based beneficiary of the Laundromat, Jovdat Guliyev, resigned on Monday from the Anglo-Azerbaijani Society. Guliyev received nearly £400,000 from the scheme. A former British Petroleum employee, he works for Azerbaijan’s state oil company. The society’s co-chair, Lord German, said Guliyev quit nine minutes after the Guardian’s story went online.
It is noteworthy that Baku has responded very loudly to this yet another accusation of illicit operations of the Aliyev family. Azerbaijan directly accused the Guardian, and the Armenian Diaspora.
Ali Hasanov, the Azeri president’s aide, said that the Aliyev regime “has become a victim of the smear campaign of the British intelligence, the Armenian Diaspora and the US”.
“When has The Guardian written the truth about Azerbaijan? This newspaper is known for its anti-Azerbaijani nature for many years”, Hasanov said.
Moreover, the Azeri president’s press office blamed George Soros and Armenian lobbyists for the revelations.
“The fact that one of the authors of the article is Armenian Dina Nahapetyan, proves that the Armenian lobby stands behind these accusations”, the Azeri officials said.
Immediately after the revelations, Azerbaijani authorities blocked access to the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project website. It was this very project that published details of the so-called Azerbaijani Laundromat scheme.
The money was allegedly channelled through four UK-based opaque companies.
People said to have been paid include European politicians who adopted a favourable attitude to the government.
There is no suggestion that all the recipients were aware of the original source of the money, it added.
The secret fund, nicknamed the Azerbaijan Laundromat, operated for two years until 2014, according to the investigation, carried out by a consortium of European newspapers and published by the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP).
The origin of the money was unclear, the report said, but there was "ample evidence of its connection to the family of President Ilham Aliyev".
- 12:33 Armenian defense minister’s delegation completes visit to Canada
- 11:34 Moscow hosts exhibition of prominent Armenian sculptor Ara Harutyunyan’s artworks
- 11:30 Argentina president plane makes emergency landing
- 11:23 Russia, US do not reach agreement on investigation into chemical attacks in Syria
- 10:54 Newspaper: Russia politician - Baku wishes to drag Moscow into Karabakh plan
- 10:48 Armenian President receives Brazil’s FM
- 09:36 NATO apologizes to Turkey for troops' withdrawal from drills
- 20:29 FIDE Grand Prix: Aronian celebrates first victory
- 18:59 European Parliament calls for end to Karabakh conflict, opening visa dialogue with Armenia
- 17:24 Dollar drops, euro goes up in Armenia
- 17:14 Nalbandian: Lavrov visit is devoted to 25th anniversary of Armenia-Russia diplomatic relations
- 16:30 Brazil Foreign Minister visits Armenian Genocide Memorial
- 16:29 Economic reforms to encourage more people to stay in Armenia – US ambassador
- 16:18 Brazil’s FM calls on to encourage Armenian and Brazilian investors
- 15:43 Mexico supports OSCE Minsk Group mediation for peaceful settlement of NK conflict
- 15:28 Turkey withdraws 40 troops from NATO drills
- 14:59 Sergey Minasyan named Armenia’s new Ambassador to Romania
- 14:43 Armenian FM presents efforts on moving forward NK conflict settlement process to his Brazilian counterpart
- 14:21 Exact date of meeting of Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs not clarified yet
- 14:00 Armenia FM: Azerbaijan attempts to appear in sheep’s clothing will not succeed
- 13:38 President of the National Assembly Convenes a Working Consultation
- 13:17 President Bako Sahakyan partakes at the opening ceremony of the new gold processing center in Stepanakert
- 12:52 Armenian church on the brink of collapse in Turkey’s Bitlis
- 12:47 Serena Williams, Alexis Ohanian get married
- 12:45 New MUTV documentary about Mkhitaryan released online
- 12:36 Facebook adds trust indicators to identify real journalism
- 11:51 Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hanks to support COAF charity event
- 11:33 Matthew Bryza: Karabakh conflict good example of cooperation between US and Russia
- 10:29 FIDE Grand Prix 2017: Aronian draws with Jakovenko
- 10:18 Russian official: Baku will make compromises over Karabakh settlement when facing coordinated pressure
- 10:10 Armenian soldier discharged from hospital 2 weeks after complicated skull prosthesis surgery
- 10:05 Quake damages part of Tigranakert fortress
- 09:44 Misha: I will do everything to win
- 09:31 Quake damages a house in Karabakh's Stepanakert
- 17:11 NKR FM Met with Members of the Standing Committee on Foreign Relations of the National Assembly of Artsakh
- 16:56 Dollar, euro are down in Armenia
- 16:53 Armenia air defense forces obtain large number of new generation Igla missile systems
- 16:31 Azerbaijani FM meets OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs in Moscow
- 16:08 Parliament Speaker Babloyan to depart for Russia
- 15:36 Lavrov to discuss Karabakh during Armenia and Azerbaijan visits
- 15:06 Ashot Ghoulyan to chair the commission on organizing celebrations marking the 30th anniversary of the Karabagh Movement
- 14:48 Artsakh Republic President Bako Sahakyan receives philanthropist Nikolay Sarkisov
- 14:31 Solar roofing installations to begin in Shushi and Askeran communities in 2018
- 14:25 There is certain activeness by OSCE MG Co-Chairs on NK conflict – deputy FM Kocharyan
- 12:51 Netherlands Senate: Armenia has unique position to become bridge between EU and Russia
- 12:17 Global oil prices on the rise
- 12:09 Karabakh conflict: Austria OSCE Chairmanship urges to implement Vienna, St. Petersburg agreements
- 11:47 EP adopts resolution recognizing Artsakh people’s right to self-determination: Azerbaijani provocation failed
- 11:39 Newspaper: Russia analyst says FM Lavrov’s visit to Armenia is no ordinary trip
- 11:14 Armenia-Iran railway construction not economically beneficial?
- 10:32 Turkish historian Taner Akcam’s Armenian Genocide book to be available January 2018
- 10:06 Preliminary reports: No quake victims in Azerbaijan
- 10:00 German human rights group insists on erecting Armenian Genocide monuments
- 09:51 Armenian Genocide video clip presented at KLIK Amsterdam Animation Festival
- 09:47 Armenian President meets with his Russian counterpart in Kremlin
- 09:43 Quake hits Azerbaijan, felt in Karabakh and Armenia
- 14:05 2018 State Budget draft presented to Artsakh Parliament
- 12:33 UN slams North Korea for human rights abuses
- 11:33 Global oil prices falling
- 11:22 Serzh Sargsyan to pay working visit to Russia
- 11.13.2017 A young pianist from Artsakh honored with Grand Prix Award in an international music festival-competition
- 11.13.2017 Arayik Harutyunyan gets acquainted with the process of large-scale house-building projects in Kashatagh region
- 11.14.2017 The number of foreign visitors to Matenadaran-Gandzasar scientific cultural center has increased by 50%
- 11.15.2017 Parliament adopts new law on military service
- 11.15.2017 2018 State Budget draft presented to Artsakh Parliament
- 11.13.2017 The number of marriages in Artsakh increased
- 11.15.2017 Variety: Armenian Genocide film director unable to get Turkish official to go on camera
- 11.13.2017 Ethnic Armenian founding members of new Turkish political party under media spotlight
- 11.14.2017 President Sahakyan visits Artsakh-Azerbaijan border