Schofer: Karabakh conflict settlement requires some very tough decisions on all sides
There is no acceptable military solution to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, while the current status quo is not sustainable over the long term.
STEPANAKERT, MARCH 7, ARTSAKHPRESS:US Co-Chair of the OSCE Minsk Group, Andrew Schofer, told the aforesaid to Trend news agency of Azerbaijan.
Schofer emphasized that the United States supports a negotiated settlement to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and will continue to engage actively with Armenia and Azerbaijan, as a co-Chair of the OSCE Minsk Group.
“The United States’ longstanding policy, shared by the Minsk Group Co-Chairs, is that a just settlement must be based on international law, which includes the Helsinki Final Act and the core principles of the non-use of force or threat of force, territorial integrity, and equal rights and self-determination [of people],” he said. “We also agree that the current status quo in the region is not sustainable over the long term, and that there is no acceptable military solution to the conflict.” he said.
The Armenian and Azerbaijani presidents’ commitments in Geneva to intensify negotiations and to take additional measures to reduce tensions reflect this reality, Schofer added.
“As co-chairs, we have worked hard with the sides in the months since Geneva to move these commitments towards implementation, and will continue to do so,” he noted.
Stressing that as a co-chair country, the United States remains firmly committed to the OSCE Minsk Group co-chair process, Schofer said that the co-chairs are prepared to work with the parties in any way that can help bring a lasting settlement.
“We continue to encourage the presidents and foreign ministers to meet at the earliest opportunity to continue discussions on key issues, including the importance of respecting the ceasefire and taking steps towards fully implementing decisions taken in Geneva in 2017, as well as in Vienna and St. Petersburg in 2016,” he said.
Touching upon the expansion of the Office of the Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office, Schofer noted that this would represent an important signal from the sides regarding their stated commitment to taking steps to calm tensions along the line of contact.
“It would also enhance the Mission’s ability to fulfill its mandate in a timely and efficient manner,” he added. “The co-chairs will continue to engage the sides toward realizing this important confidence building measure as soon as possible.”
Asked about how close Baku and Yerevan are to achieve a sustainable peace, Schofer said there are no simple solutions to the conflict.
“I assumed the role of U.S. co-chair to the OSCE Minsk Group in August 2017,” he noted. “In my time in this position, I have met with a wide range of people focused on all aspects of this conflict. While I have heard many strong views and many good ideas, it is clear that there are no simple solutions to the conflict, and it would be unrealistic to expect that a comprehensive breakthrough will be achieved without a lot more work and preparation, which will take time.
“Moving the process forward in a positive direction will require continued good faith efforts on the part of the parties themselves, the co-chairs, and the international community, and will ultimately require some very tough decisions on all sides.”
As for the next visit to the region, he said that the Minsk Group co-chairs currently do not have a schedule for the next visit, but will continue to consult with the parties on an appropriate date, taking into account the current electoral period in the region.
- 12:49 China bans video spoofs and parodies
- 11:52 Armenia waits for extension of US’ GSP trade program
- 10:38 I told Putin and Trump we won’t step back in Syria: Erdogan
- 09:48 New Peru leader takes office after president resigns
- 09:32 France hostage situation ends; 4 dead, including gunman
- 08:54 Large fire breaks out in Armenia national park
- 17:53 Speaker Ara Babloyan heads for Geneva
- 17:43 Second air festival to be organized in Stepanakert airport
- 17:42 Czech Airlines launches Prague-Yerevan-Prague regular flights
- 16:33 Dollar rises, euro drops in Armenia
- 16:21 Swiss Kuhner Foundation donates laboratory equipment to Artsakh State University
- 16:15 Museum of Armenian culture opened in Kiev, Ukraine
- 16:00 Trump fires his National Security Adviser
- 15:35 Economic activity index of Artsakh up by 17.5%
- 14:52 Charles Aznavour values introduction of investigative mechanisms on Artsakh-Azerbaijan contact line
- 14:22 Eastern Armenian to be taught in University of Uruguay
- 13:42 First “smart crossroad” in Armenia excludes traffic jams
- 12:31 Alexander Lapshin plans to visit Armenia
- 11:45 Armenia MFA: If Azerbaijan is concerned about water accessibility, it can discuss that with Karabakh
- 11:08 Working group of State Revenue Committee adjunct to Armenian government is in Artsakh
- 11:05 Catalan secessionists fail again to elect new regional head
- 10:56 Trump, Erdogan hold phone conversation
- 10:18 Oil Prices
- 09:53 EAEU-Iran free trade deal expected to be signed by the end of May
- 09:31 Military personnel martyred in plane crash in Turkey
- 17:53 British Council in Russia ceases activity
- 17:45 Shushi massacres are never condemned genocide — historian
- 17:31 Providing aid to Armenia and Artsakh discussed at US Congress hearings
- 17:25 Dollar falls, draws near AMD 480 threshold in Armenia
- 16:37 Armenian FM to attend preparatory meeting of La Francophonie economic forum in Paris
- 15:34 Photography exhibition dedicated to Artsakh Movement to be organized in Stepanakert
- 15:03 Armenia, Israel to rule out income and property double taxation
- 14:29 Armenian President holds farewell meeting with Ambassador of Italy
- 13:27 Armenian convicted in US bank fraud
- 13:11 President of Artsakh meets with Lebanese Armenian business community in Beirut
- 11:54 Mkhitaryan receives Armenia’s Best Player of the Year award
- 11:47 “Tufenkian” foundation sets up persimmon orchard in Artsakh village
- 11:06 Germany deports 50 Georgian nationals
- 10:50 Belarus leader Alexander Lukashenko to arrive in Georgia on official visit
- 10:24 Peruvian President Kuczynski resigns amid corruption scandal
- 09:41 Artsakh President partakes at opening ceremony of Independence Monument in Antelias
- 09:19 Levon Aronian to clash with ex-world champ Kramnik in 10th round of Candidates Tournament
- 08:44 Two Argentine universities suspend denialist conferences organized by Ankara university
- 19:37 Armenian Bar Association legal interns to volunteer with Artsakh Human Rights Ombudsman in Stepanakert
- 18:29 In Beirut Artsakh President met with leading staff of AGBU Lebanon local body
- 18:09 Artsakh President meets with representatives of Armenian Revolutionary Federation in Beirut
- 17:55 Artsakh Minister of State meets with senators in Australian Senate
- 16:35 New residential building to be put into operation in Michnavan, Kashatagh
- 16:05 National Defense Research University launches review of Armenia’s National Security Strategy
- 15:19 Works on erecting statue of Gregory of Narek completed in Vatican: Ambassador Minasyan releases details
- 14:57 Israel admits bombing suspected Syrian nuclear reactor in 2007, warns Iran
- 14:33 President Sargsyan congratulates Iran’s Rouhani on Nowruz
- 12:58 World Poetry Day marked in Stepanakert
- 12:55 Azeri regime-owned bank executive arrested in US, faces 125 years sentence
- 12:16 In Antelias Artsakh President partkates at ceremony dedicted to 100th anniversary of Armenia's independence
- 10:57 Artsakh’s President meets Catholicos Aram I of Great House of Cilicia in Lebanon
- 10:24 93-year-old Charles Aznavour to perform live in Japan
- 09:26 Trump not ruling out meeting with Putin 'in the not too distant future'
- 09:23 Delagation headed by Artsakh President arrived in Lebanon
- 19:11 Screening of a Film Dedicated to the 30th Anniversary of the Karabakh Movement Held in Brussels
- 03.19.2018 Azeri recon UAV downed after violating Artsakh airspace
- 03.21.2018 Azeri regime-owned bank executive arrested in US, faces 125 years sentence
- 03.19.2018 Artsakh President congratulates Vladimir Putin on victory in Russian presidential election
- 03.23.2018 Second air festival to be organized in Stepanakert airport
- 03.22.2018 “Tufenkian” foundation sets up persimmon orchard in Artsakh village
- 03.18.2018 Armenian community of America and our American friends are actively involved in international recognition of Artsakh — Artsakh President
- 03.22.2018 President of Artsakh meets with Lebanese Armenian business community in Beirut
- 03.19.2018 Artsakh President visits St. Mary and Holy Cross Armenian Apostolic Churches in Washington
- 03.20.2018 Screening of a Film Dedicated to the 30th Anniversary of the Karabakh Movement Held in Brussels