Sargsyan attends FIDE Candidates Tournament grand opening as honorary guest
President of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan, who also serves as President of the Chess Federation of the country, attended the grand opening of the FIDE Candidates Tournament 2018 in Berlin on March 9.
STEPANAKERT, MARCH 10, ARTSAKHPRESS:The Armenian president was the honorary guest at the event – an acknowledgment for Armenia’s contribution to the development and outreach of chess.
President Sargsyan delivered remarks at the inauguration of the chess tournament, the President’s Office said.
Ullrich Krause, president of Germany’s Chess Federation and FIDE Vice President Georgios Makropoulous also delivered opening remarks.
World Chess President Ilya Merenzon and Vice President of the Russian Chess Federation Andrei Guryev – the organizers of the event – delivered speeches as well.
At the end of the opening ceremony the 8 renowned chess players who will compete at the tournament were introduced.
The full transcript of the president’s remarks runs as follows:
“Dear Mr. Makropoulous,
Dear participants of the tournament,
Ladies and gentlemen,
Today is a major event for global chess – the Candidates Tournament is beginning, which is highly anticipated by millions of fans around the world.
I believe this is a unique destination for the chess giants present here today, who only hours later will kick off this giant tournament for the right to challenge world champion Magnus Carlsen.
I am proud and also grateful to the organizers for having the chance to make the first symbolic move at this tournament, as the best appreciation for the contribution which our country has had for the development and outreach of chess. Although Armenia is not a big country by size and population many believe it to be a chess superpower, because in the past several years the national chess team of Armenia, which also includes the current candidate Levon Aronian, has captured three Olympic titles and one world champion title.
Chess is a unique game which has been tested by time. It is very much similar to life where the final result greatly depends on the moves which you’ve done, while after the game all pieces – be it a King or an ordinary pawn, are stored in the same box. Perhaps this is the reason that for many centuries mankind loves to play chess, is discovering its new and hidden sides, is trying to uncover the endless secrets and depth of this wise game.
Chess is a game, but also an art and science. It teaches the culture of accurate calculation and thinking, creativity and honest competition. It forces to deeply respect your opponent. Realizing the positive impact of chess on children’s reasoning, flexibility and development of creative mind and other features, Armenia became the first country in the world to include chess in its national curriculum.
I can happily state that our society accepted this with great excitement and the positive results can already be felt. Certainly, we are happy that the Chess In Schools program is being spread in other countries too.
The world’s first scientific research institute of chess was opened in Armenia this year. We hope that the studies and activities of the institute will discover the yet unknown sides of chess.
The World Chess Federation, which today unites 189 countries, bears great responsibility in developing and spreading chess, by being a highly important chess body.
I would like to thank FIDE for the continuous and productive cooperation with Armenia’s chess federation and wish new achievements.
I would like to take this opportunity to also thank the Berlin City Hall and the organizers for giving us this chess fest. Holding the tournament at the high level will be a great contribution and stimulus for global development of chess.
Dear chess players,
This tournament is unique by its nature. The best of the best are competing for the title of candidate. Here the difference between the first and second places is huge because the winner will continue his struggle for the chess crown. But the participation in the tournament itself is already a great honor for any chess player which proves great chess mastery. For many it is a dream and life goal to be among these eight chosen ones. Each of you has deserved this place as a result of lengthy and persistent struggle by overcoming difficult selection phases.
I am sure that this tournament will be tense but also interesting, and we will witness numerous beautiful and meaningful games.
Being in the homeland of renowned chess player, 2nd world champion Emanuel Lasker, who held the chess throne for 27 consecutive years, I would like to conclude my speech with his advice: “When you see a good move, look for a better one”.
I wish all of the candidates success, and may the strongest win.
- 12:49 China bans video spoofs and parodies
- 11:52 Armenia waits for extension of US’ GSP trade program
- 10:38 I told Putin and Trump we won’t step back in Syria: Erdogan
- 09:48 New Peru leader takes office after president resigns
- 09:32 France hostage situation ends; 4 dead, including gunman
- 08:54 Large fire breaks out in Armenia national park
- 17:53 Speaker Ara Babloyan heads for Geneva
- 17:43 Second air festival to be organized in Stepanakert airport
- 17:42 Czech Airlines launches Prague-Yerevan-Prague regular flights
- 16:33 Dollar rises, euro drops in Armenia
- 16:21 Swiss Kuhner Foundation donates laboratory equipment to Artsakh State University
- 16:15 Museum of Armenian culture opened in Kiev, Ukraine
- 16:00 Trump fires his National Security Adviser
- 15:35 Economic activity index of Artsakh up by 17.5%
- 14:52 Charles Aznavour values introduction of investigative mechanisms on Artsakh-Azerbaijan contact line
- 14:22 Eastern Armenian to be taught in University of Uruguay
- 13:42 First “smart crossroad” in Armenia excludes traffic jams
- 12:31 Alexander Lapshin plans to visit Armenia
- 11:45 Armenia MFA: If Azerbaijan is concerned about water accessibility, it can discuss that with Karabakh
- 11:08 Working group of State Revenue Committee adjunct to Armenian government is in Artsakh
- 11:05 Catalan secessionists fail again to elect new regional head
- 10:56 Trump, Erdogan hold phone conversation
- 10:18 Oil Prices
- 09:53 EAEU-Iran free trade deal expected to be signed by the end of May
- 09:31 Military personnel martyred in plane crash in Turkey
- 17:53 British Council in Russia ceases activity
- 17:45 Shushi massacres are never condemned genocide — historian
- 17:31 Providing aid to Armenia and Artsakh discussed at US Congress hearings
- 17:25 Dollar falls, draws near AMD 480 threshold in Armenia
- 16:37 Armenian FM to attend preparatory meeting of La Francophonie economic forum in Paris
- 15:34 Photography exhibition dedicated to Artsakh Movement to be organized in Stepanakert
- 15:03 Armenia, Israel to rule out income and property double taxation
- 14:29 Armenian President holds farewell meeting with Ambassador of Italy
- 13:27 Armenian convicted in US bank fraud
- 13:11 President of Artsakh meets with Lebanese Armenian business community in Beirut
- 11:54 Mkhitaryan receives Armenia’s Best Player of the Year award
- 11:47 “Tufenkian” foundation sets up persimmon orchard in Artsakh village
- 11:06 Germany deports 50 Georgian nationals
- 10:50 Belarus leader Alexander Lukashenko to arrive in Georgia on official visit
- 10:24 Peruvian President Kuczynski resigns amid corruption scandal
- 09:41 Artsakh President partakes at opening ceremony of Independence Monument in Antelias
- 09:19 Levon Aronian to clash with ex-world champ Kramnik in 10th round of Candidates Tournament
- 08:44 Two Argentine universities suspend denialist conferences organized by Ankara university
- 19:37 Armenian Bar Association legal interns to volunteer with Artsakh Human Rights Ombudsman in Stepanakert
- 18:29 In Beirut Artsakh President met with leading staff of AGBU Lebanon local body
- 18:09 Artsakh President meets with representatives of Armenian Revolutionary Federation in Beirut
- 17:55 Artsakh Minister of State meets with senators in Australian Senate
- 16:35 New residential building to be put into operation in Michnavan, Kashatagh
- 16:05 National Defense Research University launches review of Armenia’s National Security Strategy
- 15:19 Works on erecting statue of Gregory of Narek completed in Vatican: Ambassador Minasyan releases details
- 14:57 Israel admits bombing suspected Syrian nuclear reactor in 2007, warns Iran
- 14:33 President Sargsyan congratulates Iran’s Rouhani on Nowruz
- 12:58 World Poetry Day marked in Stepanakert
- 12:55 Azeri regime-owned bank executive arrested in US, faces 125 years sentence
- 12:16 In Antelias Artsakh President partkates at ceremony dedicted to 100th anniversary of Armenia's independence
- 10:57 Artsakh’s President meets Catholicos Aram I of Great House of Cilicia in Lebanon
- 10:24 93-year-old Charles Aznavour to perform live in Japan
- 09:26 Trump not ruling out meeting with Putin 'in the not too distant future'
- 09:23 Delagation headed by Artsakh President arrived in Lebanon
- 19:11 Screening of a Film Dedicated to the 30th Anniversary of the Karabakh Movement Held in Brussels
- 03.19.2018 Azeri recon UAV downed after violating Artsakh airspace
- 03.21.2018 Azeri regime-owned bank executive arrested in US, faces 125 years sentence
- 03.19.2018 Artsakh President congratulates Vladimir Putin on victory in Russian presidential election
- 03.23.2018 Second air festival to be organized in Stepanakert airport
- 03.22.2018 “Tufenkian” foundation sets up persimmon orchard in Artsakh village
- 03.18.2018 Armenian community of America and our American friends are actively involved in international recognition of Artsakh — Artsakh President
- 03.22.2018 President of Artsakh meets with Lebanese Armenian business community in Beirut
- 03.19.2018 Artsakh President visits St. Mary and Holy Cross Armenian Apostolic Churches in Washington
- 03.20.2018 Screening of a Film Dedicated to the 30th Anniversary of the Karabakh Movement Held in Brussels