Future of Karabakh is free life – Serzh Sargsyan
Karabakh is a small country, but it doesn’t serve a basis to say that it doesn’t have a right to live freely. People lived here for thousands of years and will continue living, 3rd President of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan, the ruling Republican Party’s candidate for Prime Minister, said in an interview to the Russian Izvestiya news agency.
STEPANAKERT, APRIL 16, ARTSAKHPRESS-ARMENPRESS:He stated that although the active stage of the Nagorno Karabakh exists for already three decades, this conflict existed previously.
“25 out of 30 years have passed through the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group. In 1994, by the mediation of Russia, a trilateral termless ceasefire agreement was signed. Unfortunately, since 2014 Azerbaijan almost every day violated the ceasefire regime.
In April 2016, failing in the negotiations, the Azerbaijani side, by violating all its commitments through the agreement, launched a large-scale aggression against the Nagorno Karabakh Republic by using a large number of air force, armored vehicles, large caliber artillery, missile and artillery systems, most of which has been acquired from Russia. But they failed to solve any serious issue, and on the 5th day the sides met by Russia’s mediation and agreed to restart the implementation of the provisions of the agreement signed earlier”, Sargsyan said.
He recalled that during the period following this a number of summits were held during which agreements were reached to create investigative mechanisms for ceasefire violations and expand the powers of the Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office.
“But the Azerbaijani side, returning to Baku, refused to implement the agreements. In 2007 the Minsk Group proposed to solve the conflict based on the three principles of international law – non-use of force of threat of force, equal rights and self-determination of peoples, and territorial integrity. We think that this is a balanced approach of mutual concessions. This is not what we have dreamed of. This is not the best option for us. But understanding that the issue can be settled only based on a mutual concession, we agreed to negotiations. And it seemed in 2011 we were close to the signing in Kazan. But Baku put forward additional demands, and the signing didn’t take place”, the 3rd President of Armenia said.
Serzh Sargsyan stated that the Azerbaijani leadership has an illusion according to which the mutual concession is possible only by Armenia and Artsakh. According to its leadership, it is due to this that the status-quo remains unchanged. “But here a response mutual concession is needed. Azerbaijanis still hope for the military settlement of the conflict. As the practice showed both in early 1990s and in 2016, this is impossible. There will be great losses, casualties, but the situation will not change in any case. Nevertheless, sooner or later we should come to any settlement. The sooner the better.
And the future of Karabakh is the free life. Yes, it’s a small country, but this is not yet a reason to say that you have no right to live freely. People lived there for thousands of years and will continue living also in the future. Of course, the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chair countries – Russia, the United States and France, do a lot for the conflict settlement. Five statements were made at the presidents level, and all these speak about the fact that the conflict can be settled based only on these three principles. These principles are inseparable. And this is very important”, Serzh Sargsyan said.
- 19:56 There is a deep concern in Artsakh: political forces of Artsakh parliament made a statement
- 14:13 Inner stability — the most important factor of two Armenian states' security, Artsakh President
- 13:11 Azerbaijan fires 2500+ rounds in Artsakh ceasefire violations during past week
- 13:03 Iran vows 'expected and unexpected' moves if U.S. exits deal
- 12:42 Yerevan Police Department issues warning to demonstrators
- 12:21 PM Serzh Sargsyan calls on opposition MP Nikol Pashinyan for immediate political dialogue and negotiations
- 11:29 Artsakh Parliament adopts law "On the Chamber of Commerce and Industry"
- 11:21 Trump, France's Macron to discuss Iran nuclear deal next week
- 11:04 Garo Paylan calls on Turkish parliament to recognize the Armenian Genocide
- 10:47 Armenia records unprecedented economic activation growth
- 10:38 OSCE PA human rights Chair urges restraint, dialogue in Armenia
- 10:03 We asses inadmissible all the steps that can be harmful for the country - members of Armenia’s Chess team support Serzh Sargsyan
- 09:58 Nikol Pashinyan presents preconditions for dialogue with authorities
- 09:49 Vartkes Mahdessian: Turkey continues denying Armenian Genocide, fears legal consequences will follow
- 09:33 At least three dead, including police officer, in Nicaragua protests
- 09:20 North Korea says it will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 17:53 President highlights regular and frequent visits of Diaspora youth to Artsakh
- 17:27 Blogger Lapshin to deliver remarks at PACE on violations of his rights by Azerbaijan
- 17:15 Arsene Wenger to leave Arsenal by end of the season
- 17:05 Artsakh presented at “InTour Expo” international tourism exhibition
- 16:40 Yerevan-Lyon first direct flight launched
- 16:33 FM Lavrov comments on US stance on supply of S-400 Russian missile systems to Turkey
- 15:50 We plan to spread ARI in Armenian colonies of South America, State Minister
- 15:48 North and South Koreas open hotline between leaders
- 15:45 Belgian deputies: Visiting Artsakh is not a crime
- 15:44 PM Sargsyan, Armenian Catholicos discuss ongoing demonstrations in Yerevan
- 14:32 LA City Council members commemorate Armenian Genocide
- 14:32 World War II bomb disposal to force massive evacuation in central Berlin
- 14:25 US Senators threaten Turkey with sanctions if Pastor Andrew Brunson is not released
- 13:51 President of Artsakh receives winners of Armenia Men's Basketball League A championship
- 13:00 Artsakh State Minister receives head of Armenia's state service for food safety
- 12:52 PM Sargsyan unveils plans to increase pensions, minimum salary in Armenia from Jan. 1
- 12:31 Working day of April 30 to be moved to May 5 in Artsakh
- 12:17 Austria says will bar Turkish politicians from campaigning on its soil
- 12:04 Russia says Trump invited Putin to U.S. during phone call
- 12:02 Man linked to 9/11 attacks on U.S. captured in Syria: Pentagon
- 11:51 Russian Foreign Ministry evacuated over bomb threat
- 11:29 Nearly 40 people slightly injured in Austrian train accident
- 10:53 Azerbaijani leadership with morbid obsession ignores or distorts everything - deputy foreign minister
- 10:34 EU granted 500,000 people asylum protection in 2017
- 10:13 Syria’s Assad returns Legion d'honneur 2001 award to France
- 10:10 Catholicos Aram I of Great House of Cilicia arrives in Armenia
- 09:42 US concerned over Turkey’s ability to hold snap elections during state of emergency
- 09:33 There is no desire to use measures of compulsion, but permissiveness cannot prevail in the country – Serzh Sargsyan speaks about Yerevan rallies
- 09:11 Azerbaijan should get rid of false illusions for settling NK conflict – PM Serzh Sargsyan
- 18:15 Number of tourists visiting Artsakh’s Vank village increases, head of the community (photos)
- 17:44 South Korea's Moon says North seeking 'complete denuclearization'
- 16:59 Finance, territorial administration, economy ministers re-appointed by President
- 16:45 Dollar drop not stopping in Armenia
- 16:30 Economic conference to be held in Stepanakert, foreign businessmen will participate
- 15:29 Special attention is paid to solving social problems of servicemen, President of Artsakh
- 14:58 Artsakh Defense Army replenished with new equipment, Artsakh President
- 14:51 Hovhannes Nikoghosyan appointed spokesperson of Prime Minister
- 14:50 Mkhitaryan back on track after injury-related hiatus
- 14:01 PM Medvedev highlights Serzh Sargsyan’s personal contribution to development of Armenian- Russian allied relations
- 13:07 Kyrgyz president dismisses republic’s cabinet
- 12:44 Kyrgyzstan’s parliament votes no-confident to republic’s cabinet
- 11:50 EU on Yerevan protests: All parties involved should show restraint and responsibility
- 11:48 5.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern Iran
- 11:47 Latvian parliament ratifies EU-Armenia agreement
- 04.16.2018 Soldier dies in one of military units of Artsakh’s Defense Army
- 04.20.2018 President of Artsakh receives winners of Armenia Men's Basketball League A championship
- 04.19.2018 Artsakh Defense Army replenished with new equipment, Artsakh President
- 04.21.2018 Inner stability — the most important factor of two Armenian states' security, Artsakh President
- 04.18.2018 Armenian national security neutralizes bank account scamming syndicate
- 04.21.2018 There is a deep concern in Artsakh: political forces of Artsakh parliament made a statement
- 04.17.2018 Armenian lawmakers elect Serzh Sargsyan as Prime Minister in historic vote
- 04.18.2018 Artsakh soldier killed in landmine explosion
- 04.18.2018 “Yerevan, you are wonderful” – Alexander Lapshin arrives in Armenia for 1st time after highly publicized Baku jailing