10 best places to make your trip to Artsakh memorable
Artsakh has numerous places for tourists to visit: those places offer unique impressions both to those interested in archeological excavations, to those appreciating the unique architectural style and interesting solutions, as well as to adventure tourism lovers.
STEPANAKERT, AUGUST 9, ARTSAKHPRESS-ARMENPRESS: 10 best places in Artsakh that are worth visiting and observing.
Jdrduz – Canyon of Hunot
If you want to see the whole magic of the Artsakh nature, you need to definitely visit Jdrduz, the same Katarot, which is located on the edge of the Shushi city, on the top of the rocks. Rocky curves, ruins of ancient mills, challenging bridges, funny wooden people, resting benches and finally tourists – this is what you can see on the road to the Canyon of Hunot just below Jdrduz.
One of the ornaments of Artsakh is the Tnjri – a giant plain tree. The tree is situated nearby the Skhtorashen village. It is already 2035 years old. The hollow of the tree is 44 sq.m thanks to which 100 people can stand there. The circumference of the tree is 27 m and the height is more than 54 m. In the vicinity of Tnjri you can see numerous historical-cultural monuments. The Tnjri for the Artsakh people is not just a tree, rather it is a pilgrimage place.
St. Ghazanchetsots Church in Shushi
Shushi is one of the cultural cities of Artsakh. In addition to ancient historical buildings, museums, the tourists can be attracted by the Holy Savior Ghazanchetsots church which has been built in the 19th century in the center of Shushi. As an architectural structure, the church attracts not only by its color, but also by its unique dome and engravings. The bell tower is built in front of the cathedral. The church has a part where acoustic qualities change the human voice.
The city of Tigranakert, named after Tigran the Great, is located in the Martuni region of Artsakh. The city was built in the 1st century BC. In 2008 state historical-cultural reserve has been created at the city’s excavation site where visitors can get information on the city’s centuries-old history. Numerous excavations have been carried out in the territory of Tigranakert. The excavations of 2005 revealed that Tigranakert had a bulwark fortified district like the medieval classical cities, a commercial or central district, large agricultural suburbs.
Gandzasar monastery located in the Martakert region as a unique architectural structure attracts tourists to a great extent especially for those who choose Artsakh as a tourism destination during summer. The 13-century monastery is nearby the Vank village: the monastery’s restoration works launched in 2000. The book about the history of Gandzasar translated into 11 languages, makes the tourists’ visit more accessible and easier to the monastery. The Gandzasar matenadaran named after Mesrop Mashtots, is nearby the Vank village.
Kachaghakaberd is a mountain-top fortress located between Pteretsk and Kolatak villages of Artsakh. The peak of the mountain on which the fortress is standing is especially visible on the way from Stepanakert to Gandzasar. It is located at a height of more than 1700 meters, surrounded by vertical limestone cliffs with the heights of 50–60 meters, has a hard-to-reach entrance from the southern side of the fortress.
The Azokh cave is an important archaeological site which is nearby the Azokh village of Artsakh’s Hadrut region. During the excavations in 1968 the Neanderthal man's jaw was discovered, 300.000 years old. The Azokh cave is a state natural reserve which is in the spotlight of not only Armenian, but also foreign archeologists. ‘Azokh cave and the Transcaucasian corridor’ book was published in 2016 which presents the results of archeological works that lasted for over 10 years.
Dadivank monastery, 9-13th centuries, is another historical site of Artsakh located in the Dadivank village of Shahumyan region. The monastery includes also the St. Mary Cathedral the frescoes of which were cleaned and renovated by foreign specialists. According to the document signed by 16 members of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) on October 8, 2001, the demolition of Dadivank in Artsakh is one of the shocking facts of the Azerbaijani policy. The Armenian troops liberated Dadivank on March 31, 1993.
The mountain is located in the Hadrut region. The second name of the mountain is Ziarat. The peak of the mountain is one of the historical holy sites of Artsakh.
Janapar Trail hiking route
The Janapar Trail is a 500km (311 mile) hiking trail taking you past high mountains, over hills and through valleys and canyons, discovering many ancient monasteries. It starches from Vardenis to Hadrut region.
- 14:30 Hostages held at Dutch radio station
- 13:49 US State Department publishes 2016 report on religious freedom in Armenia
- 13:35 Armenia and Artsakh PMs got familiarized with construction works in Talish (Video)
- 10:27 Global oil prices are up
- 09:43 Aleppo gradually recovers, schools are preparing for new academic year
- 09:31 Karabakh young soldiers are heroes of Italian photographer's project (PHOTOS)
- 18:01 Trump says North Korean leader made “wise” decision
- 16:40 Dollar drops slightly in Armenia
- 15:09 Armenian becomes one of main teaching languages at LA elementary school
- 14:50 EU: Special representative for South Caucasus leaves position in view of new responsibilities
- 13:34 Macron tells Erdogan of 'concern' over French journalist detained in Turkey
- 12:03 Hoagland: Minsk Group co-chairs encourage Armenia and Azerbaijan presidents to meet
- 11:34 Arayik Haroutyunyan welcomes Karen Karapetyan who is on vacation
- 11:14 Global oil prices are up
- 09:44 Turkish activist admits that recognition of Armenian Genocide by Texas was a major blow for them
- 09:18 Earthquake registered in Armenia
- 16:56 UN: Nearly 50,000 stranded at Jordan-Syria border
- 16:50 Trump and Shinzo Abe talk on phone to discuss North Korea
- 15:44 UN to allocate $ 5.9 million to drought-affected people in North Korea
- 13:58 Armenia soldier found hanged in Shirak Province
- 12:26 Ashot Ghulyan received Belgium Catholic Church delegation
- 11:37 Rouhani warns Iran can quit nuclear deal if US imposes new sanctions
- 11:25 Floods kill more than 100 people in North India
- 10:41 Global oil prices are up
- 10:06 Gladys Berejiklian: I hope to visit Armenia next year as Premier of New South Wales
- 09:36 Quake hits Armenia
- 17:50 Trump announces about his return to Washington
- 16:34 Dried fruits produced in Martakert will be exported to Russia
- 15:56 Defense Army serviceman Arman Movsisyan posthumously awarded with the "For Service in Battle" medal
- 15:48 Artsakh Defense Army soldier killed by Azerbaijani shooting
- 15:11 Hotel complex been opened in Mataghis
- 12:43 Lawyer: Situation over Lapshin's extradition to Israel will be decided in next 7-10 days
- 12:14 Baku asks Israeli company to test drone on Armenian positions
- 12:08 Global oil prices falling
- 11:53 Armenian PM, Kazakh counterpart discuss bilateral economic cooperation
- 11:11 Garo Paylan visits Armenian cemetery of Turkey’s Van
- 10:49 17 killed in Burkina Faso restaurant attack
- 10:08 Armenian PM holds private meeting with his Belarusian counterpart
- 09:19 Eurasian Intergovernmental Council’s session kicks off in Astana, Kazakhstan
- 11:20 Trump to North Korea: I hope that they are going to fully understand the gravity of what I said
- 16:17 Iran floods kill 2 people
- 16:11 The Number of Migrants Arriving in Spain Triples
- 16:09 The US and South Korea to Hold Military Exercises
- 15:44 Armenia PM to visit Kazakhstan
- 13:58 International recognition of Artsakh Republic is just matter of time – Vice-Speaker Sharmazanov
- 11:38 Australian-Armenian vascular surgeon perform free operations in Stepanakert
- 10:20 Trump thanks Putin for cutting US diplomats
- 09:51 Washington to demand from Russia to shut one its consulates in US?
- 17:31 Death toll in China earthquake increases
- 15:25 Artsakh’s Parliament Speaker, Baroness Caroline Cox discuss cooperation prospects
- 13:14 Armenia official: Azerbaijan hopes to resolve Karabakh conflict by force
- 11:32 School and Preschool Buildings will be constructed in Mataghis, Artsakh Republic
- 10:47 The Head of the Pentagon Has Threatened the DPRK with the Death of the People
- 18:07 Dollar drops in Armenia
- 17:09 Armenia MOD: Wounded soldier is in satisfactory condition
- 16:29 Iran's President Rouhani presents cabinet to Parliament for vote of confidence
- 14:43 OSCE conducted planned monitoring in direction of Askeran region
- 13:43 Nalbandian: There is nothing specific yet on possible meeting between Armenia and Azerbaijan presidents
- 12:41 Armenia competes in Tank Biathlon second semifinal
- 12:24 Powerful earthquake kills at least 13 in China, 175 injured
- 08.14.2017 Artsakh Defense Army soldier killed by Azerbaijani shooting
- 08.11.2017 Australian-Armenian vascular surgeon perform free operations in Stepanakert
- 08.11.2017 Trump thanks Putin for cutting US diplomats
- 08.11.2017 Armenia PM to visit Kazakhstan
- 08.11.2017 Iran floods kill 2 people
- 08.11.2017 Washington to demand from Russia to shut one its consulates in US?
- 08.14.2017 Hotel complex been opened in Mataghis
- 08.14.2017 Garo Paylan visits Armenian cemetery of Turkey’s Van
- 08.14.2017 Baku asks Israeli company to test drone on Armenian positions