10 best places to make your trip to Artsakh memorable
Artsakh has numerous places for tourists to visit: those places offer unique impressions both to those interested in archeological excavations, to those appreciating the unique architectural style and interesting solutions, as well as to adventure tourism lovers.
STEPANAKERT, AUGUST 9, ARTSAKHPRESS-ARMENPRESS: 10 best places in Artsakh that are worth visiting and observing.
Jdrduz – Canyon of Hunot
If you want to see the whole magic of the Artsakh nature, you need to definitely visit Jdrduz, the same Katarot, which is located on the edge of the Shushi city, on the top of the rocks. Rocky curves, ruins of ancient mills, challenging bridges, funny wooden people, resting benches and finally tourists – this is what you can see on the road to the Canyon of Hunot just below Jdrduz.
One of the ornaments of Artsakh is the Tnjri – a giant plain tree. The tree is situated nearby the Skhtorashen village. It is already 2035 years old. The hollow of the tree is 44 sq.m thanks to which 100 people can stand there. The circumference of the tree is 27 m and the height is more than 54 m. In the vicinity of Tnjri you can see numerous historical-cultural monuments. The Tnjri for the Artsakh people is not just a tree, rather it is a pilgrimage place.
St. Ghazanchetsots Church in Shushi
Shushi is one of the cultural cities of Artsakh. In addition to ancient historical buildings, museums, the tourists can be attracted by the Holy Savior Ghazanchetsots church which has been built in the 19th century in the center of Shushi. As an architectural structure, the church attracts not only by its color, but also by its unique dome and engravings. The bell tower is built in front of the cathedral. The church has a part where acoustic qualities change the human voice.
The city of Tigranakert, named after Tigran the Great, is located in the Martuni region of Artsakh. The city was built in the 1st century BC. In 2008 state historical-cultural reserve has been created at the city’s excavation site where visitors can get information on the city’s centuries-old history. Numerous excavations have been carried out in the territory of Tigranakert. The excavations of 2005 revealed that Tigranakert had a bulwark fortified district like the medieval classical cities, a commercial or central district, large agricultural suburbs.
Gandzasar monastery located in the Martakert region as a unique architectural structure attracts tourists to a great extent especially for those who choose Artsakh as a tourism destination during summer. The 13-century monastery is nearby the Vank village: the monastery’s restoration works launched in 2000. The book about the history of Gandzasar translated into 11 languages, makes the tourists’ visit more accessible and easier to the monastery. The Gandzasar matenadaran named after Mesrop Mashtots, is nearby the Vank village.
Kachaghakaberd is a mountain-top fortress located between Pteretsk and Kolatak villages of Artsakh. The peak of the mountain on which the fortress is standing is especially visible on the way from Stepanakert to Gandzasar. It is located at a height of more than 1700 meters, surrounded by vertical limestone cliffs with the heights of 50–60 meters, has a hard-to-reach entrance from the southern side of the fortress.
The Azokh cave is an important archaeological site which is nearby the Azokh village of Artsakh’s Hadrut region. During the excavations in 1968 the Neanderthal man's jaw was discovered, 300.000 years old. The Azokh cave is a state natural reserve which is in the spotlight of not only Armenian, but also foreign archeologists. ‘Azokh cave and the Transcaucasian corridor’ book was published in 2016 which presents the results of archeological works that lasted for over 10 years.
Dadivank monastery, 9-13th centuries, is another historical site of Artsakh located in the Dadivank village of Shahumyan region. The monastery includes also the St. Mary Cathedral the frescoes of which were cleaned and renovated by foreign specialists. According to the document signed by 16 members of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) on October 8, 2001, the demolition of Dadivank in Artsakh is one of the shocking facts of the Azerbaijani policy. The Armenian troops liberated Dadivank on March 31, 1993.
The mountain is located in the Hadrut region. The second name of the mountain is Ziarat. The peak of the mountain is one of the historical holy sites of Artsakh.
Janapar Trail hiking route
The Janapar Trail is a 500km (311 mile) hiking trail taking you past high mountains, over hills and through valleys and canyons, discovering many ancient monasteries. It starches from Vardenis to Hadrut region.
- 10:24 Russia kicks off presidential campaign trail
- 10:23 All interstate and republican roads open in Armenia
- 09:57 2 rockets fired from Gaza toward Israel
- 09:46 Israel army strikes Hamas
- 09:43 Turkey to open embassy in East Jerusalem
- 18:37 President of Artsakh and Armenian premier chair a joint consultation
- 13:14 President of Artsakh meets with chairman of the “Prosperous Armenia” party Gagik Tsarukyan
- 12:24 Armenian Americans endorse Don Boyajian for Congress
- 11:58 Armenian lawmaker calls on Latvia to recognize Armenian Genocide
- 11:46 Erdogan predicts future of Muslims after Trump’s Jerusalem move
- 10:40 Former US envoy to Russia: Trump-Putin phone call not in national interests
- 10:27 Black ice takes hold on some roads
- 09:45 North Korea intends to be 'world's strongest nuclear power'
- 20:16 President of Artsakh received Armenian premier
- 17:59 Dollar drops in Armenia
- 16:40 A palliative medicine service center to operate in Artsakh in 2018
- 16:17 Negotiations underway regarding Armenia-China direct flights - deputy FM
- 16:13 New Year preparations in Artsakh
- 15:48 EU leaders fail to agree on migration policy
- 15:19 Russia presidential elections set for March 18
- 14:57 Greek deputy FM visits Armenian Genocide Memorial in Yerevan
- 14:15 Former Turkish police officer detained as suspect in Russian ambassador’s murder
- 12:58 Bako Sahakyan: Numerous projects were implemented in Artsakh healthcare sphere with the support of Armenia
- 12:11 Armenia should be a very safe country, says President Serzh Sargsyan
- 11:46 Yerevan hosts international seminar on army
- 11:04 President Sargsyan signs EEU Customs Code ratification law
- 10:40 Japan imposes new sanctions on North Korea
- 10:06 Artsakh should be directly involved in negotiation process – FM Masis Mayilyan
- 10:05 Trump thanks Putin
- 09:47 All interstate and republican roads open in Armenia
- 09:34 EU leaders oppose Trump position on Jerusalem
- 09:16 Armenian President presents vision of NK conflict settlement
- 17:43 The ICRC visits the detainees captured in relation to Nagorno-Karabagh conflict
- 17:04 Putin proposes setting up joint customs checkpoints between EAEU countries
- 16:48 Armenia to continue developing cooperation and partnership with NATO, Gagik Hovhannisyan says
- 16:18 Armenia FM to head to Kyiv
- 15:07 A lecture on pomegranate cultivation was organized in Stepanakert
- 14:11 Putin to run as independent candidate
- 13:23 Hayrenaser charity NGO continues its patriotic mission
- 13:05 CPJ: Turkey remains world's worst jailer of journalists
- 12:28 Jose Mourinho explains Henrikh Mkhitaryan absence
- 11:00 Turkey military carries out operations against Kurdish militants at foot of Mount Ararat
- 10:33 World oil prices up
- 10:28 Kremlin does not share Erdogan’s stance on Israel
- 10:16 Turkey: US can no longer be mediator in Israel-Palestine conflict
- 10:03 Black ice grips some roads in Armenia
- 09:39 State Department: US will be open to talking to North Korea “when the time is right”
- 17:42 Dollar drops in Armenia
- 17:21 Solemn opening ceremony of a new community center in Ukhtadzor
- 16:37 NATO is satisfied with level of relations with Armenia - Rosaria Puglisi
- 15:42 FM Nalbandian meets with President of Greece in Athens
- 15:26 Erdogan calls to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Palestine
- 15:25 Armenia among most popular destinations for UAE tourists
- 14:58 NATO Deputy Secretary General to visit Armenia
- 13:09 The Australian Greens recognize Artsakh
- 12:37 Karabakh FM meets with Armenian Assembly of America delegation
- 12:21 Mijnavan to have a new residential building
- 11:48 Armenian FM meets Greek counterpart in Athens
- 10:57 Poland has new government, solely PM changed
- 10:18 Tillerson: US prepared to negotiate with North Korea without preconditions
- 12.11.2017 Artsakh sportsman becomes double World Champion
- 12.15.2017 New Year preparations in Artsakh
- 12.11.2017 Jivan Avetisyan: HBO American television network will screen ''The Last Inhabitant'' in Eastern Europe
- 12.11.2017 President Sahakyan signs laws
- 12.11.2017 Artsakh Foreign Ministry: We welcome the intention of the Honolulu City to establish friendship relations with Stepanakert
- 12.12.2017 Karabakh soldier accidentally shot by fellow soldier
- 12.11.2017 Aivazovsky painting sold at Prague auction for almost $1 million
- 12.13.2017 Solemn opening ceremony of a new community center in Ukhtadzor
- 12.12.2017 ECHR ruling: Armenian refugee entitled to € 5,000 in compensation by Azerbaijan