10 best places to make your trip to Artsakh memorable
Artsakh has numerous places for tourists to visit: those places offer unique impressions both to those interested in archeological excavations, to those appreciating the unique architectural style and interesting solutions, as well as to adventure tourism lovers.
STEPANAKERT, AUGUST 9, ARTSAKHPRESS-ARMENPRESS: 10 best places in Artsakh that are worth visiting and observing.
Jdrduz – Canyon of Hunot
If you want to see the whole magic of the Artsakh nature, you need to definitely visit Jdrduz, the same Katarot, which is located on the edge of the Shushi city, on the top of the rocks. Rocky curves, ruins of ancient mills, challenging bridges, funny wooden people, resting benches and finally tourists – this is what you can see on the road to the Canyon of Hunot just below Jdrduz.
One of the ornaments of Artsakh is the Tnjri – a giant plain tree. The tree is situated nearby the Skhtorashen village. It is already 2035 years old. The hollow of the tree is 44 sq.m thanks to which 100 people can stand there. The circumference of the tree is 27 m and the height is more than 54 m. In the vicinity of Tnjri you can see numerous historical-cultural monuments. The Tnjri for the Artsakh people is not just a tree, rather it is a pilgrimage place.
St. Ghazanchetsots Church in Shushi
Shushi is one of the cultural cities of Artsakh. In addition to ancient historical buildings, museums, the tourists can be attracted by the Holy Savior Ghazanchetsots church which has been built in the 19th century in the center of Shushi. As an architectural structure, the church attracts not only by its color, but also by its unique dome and engravings. The bell tower is built in front of the cathedral. The church has a part where acoustic qualities change the human voice.
The city of Tigranakert, named after Tigran the Great, is located in the Martuni region of Artsakh. The city was built in the 1st century BC. In 2008 state historical-cultural reserve has been created at the city’s excavation site where visitors can get information on the city’s centuries-old history. Numerous excavations have been carried out in the territory of Tigranakert. The excavations of 2005 revealed that Tigranakert had a bulwark fortified district like the medieval classical cities, a commercial or central district, large agricultural suburbs.
Gandzasar monastery located in the Martakert region as a unique architectural structure attracts tourists to a great extent especially for those who choose Artsakh as a tourism destination during summer. The 13-century monastery is nearby the Vank village: the monastery’s restoration works launched in 2000. The book about the history of Gandzasar translated into 11 languages, makes the tourists’ visit more accessible and easier to the monastery. The Gandzasar matenadaran named after Mesrop Mashtots, is nearby the Vank village.
Kachaghakaberd is a mountain-top fortress located between Pteretsk and Kolatak villages of Artsakh. The peak of the mountain on which the fortress is standing is especially visible on the way from Stepanakert to Gandzasar. It is located at a height of more than 1700 meters, surrounded by vertical limestone cliffs with the heights of 50–60 meters, has a hard-to-reach entrance from the southern side of the fortress.
The Azokh cave is an important archaeological site which is nearby the Azokh village of Artsakh’s Hadrut region. During the excavations in 1968 the Neanderthal man's jaw was discovered, 300.000 years old. The Azokh cave is a state natural reserve which is in the spotlight of not only Armenian, but also foreign archeologists. ‘Azokh cave and the Transcaucasian corridor’ book was published in 2016 which presents the results of archeological works that lasted for over 10 years.
Dadivank monastery, 9-13th centuries, is another historical site of Artsakh located in the Dadivank village of Shahumyan region. The monastery includes also the St. Mary Cathedral the frescoes of which were cleaned and renovated by foreign specialists. According to the document signed by 16 members of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) on October 8, 2001, the demolition of Dadivank in Artsakh is one of the shocking facts of the Azerbaijani policy. The Armenian troops liberated Dadivank on March 31, 1993.
The mountain is located in the Hadrut region. The second name of the mountain is Ziarat. The peak of the mountain is one of the historical holy sites of Artsakh.
Janapar Trail hiking route
The Janapar Trail is a 500km (311 mile) hiking trail taking you past high mountains, over hills and through valleys and canyons, discovering many ancient monasteries. It starches from Vardenis to Hadrut region.
- 12:49 China bans video spoofs and parodies
- 11:52 Armenia waits for extension of US’ GSP trade program
- 10:38 I told Putin and Trump we won’t step back in Syria: Erdogan
- 09:48 New Peru leader takes office after president resigns
- 09:32 France hostage situation ends; 4 dead, including gunman
- 08:54 Large fire breaks out in Armenia national park
- 17:53 Speaker Ara Babloyan heads for Geneva
- 17:43 Second air festival to be organized in Stepanakert airport
- 17:42 Czech Airlines launches Prague-Yerevan-Prague regular flights
- 16:33 Dollar rises, euro drops in Armenia
- 16:21 Swiss Kuhner Foundation donates laboratory equipment to Artsakh State University
- 16:15 Museum of Armenian culture opened in Kiev, Ukraine
- 16:00 Trump fires his National Security Adviser
- 15:35 Economic activity index of Artsakh up by 17.5%
- 14:52 Charles Aznavour values introduction of investigative mechanisms on Artsakh-Azerbaijan contact line
- 14:22 Eastern Armenian to be taught in University of Uruguay
- 13:42 First “smart crossroad” in Armenia excludes traffic jams
- 12:31 Alexander Lapshin plans to visit Armenia
- 11:45 Armenia MFA: If Azerbaijan is concerned about water accessibility, it can discuss that with Karabakh
- 11:08 Working group of State Revenue Committee adjunct to Armenian government is in Artsakh
- 11:05 Catalan secessionists fail again to elect new regional head
- 10:56 Trump, Erdogan hold phone conversation
- 10:18 Oil Prices
- 09:53 EAEU-Iran free trade deal expected to be signed by the end of May
- 09:31 Military personnel martyred in plane crash in Turkey
- 17:53 British Council in Russia ceases activity
- 17:45 Shushi massacres are never condemned genocide — historian
- 17:31 Providing aid to Armenia and Artsakh discussed at US Congress hearings
- 17:25 Dollar falls, draws near AMD 480 threshold in Armenia
- 16:37 Armenian FM to attend preparatory meeting of La Francophonie economic forum in Paris
- 15:34 Photography exhibition dedicated to Artsakh Movement to be organized in Stepanakert
- 15:03 Armenia, Israel to rule out income and property double taxation
- 14:29 Armenian President holds farewell meeting with Ambassador of Italy
- 13:27 Armenian convicted in US bank fraud
- 13:11 President of Artsakh meets with Lebanese Armenian business community in Beirut
- 11:54 Mkhitaryan receives Armenia’s Best Player of the Year award
- 11:47 “Tufenkian” foundation sets up persimmon orchard in Artsakh village
- 11:06 Germany deports 50 Georgian nationals
- 10:50 Belarus leader Alexander Lukashenko to arrive in Georgia on official visit
- 10:24 Peruvian President Kuczynski resigns amid corruption scandal
- 09:41 Artsakh President partakes at opening ceremony of Independence Monument in Antelias
- 09:19 Levon Aronian to clash with ex-world champ Kramnik in 10th round of Candidates Tournament
- 08:44 Two Argentine universities suspend denialist conferences organized by Ankara university
- 19:37 Armenian Bar Association legal interns to volunteer with Artsakh Human Rights Ombudsman in Stepanakert
- 18:29 In Beirut Artsakh President met with leading staff of AGBU Lebanon local body
- 18:09 Artsakh President meets with representatives of Armenian Revolutionary Federation in Beirut
- 17:55 Artsakh Minister of State meets with senators in Australian Senate
- 16:35 New residential building to be put into operation in Michnavan, Kashatagh
- 16:05 National Defense Research University launches review of Armenia’s National Security Strategy
- 15:19 Works on erecting statue of Gregory of Narek completed in Vatican: Ambassador Minasyan releases details
- 14:57 Israel admits bombing suspected Syrian nuclear reactor in 2007, warns Iran
- 14:33 President Sargsyan congratulates Iran’s Rouhani on Nowruz
- 12:58 World Poetry Day marked in Stepanakert
- 12:55 Azeri regime-owned bank executive arrested in US, faces 125 years sentence
- 12:16 In Antelias Artsakh President partkates at ceremony dedicted to 100th anniversary of Armenia's independence
- 10:57 Artsakh’s President meets Catholicos Aram I of Great House of Cilicia in Lebanon
- 10:24 93-year-old Charles Aznavour to perform live in Japan
- 09:26 Trump not ruling out meeting with Putin 'in the not too distant future'
- 09:23 Delagation headed by Artsakh President arrived in Lebanon
- 19:11 Screening of a Film Dedicated to the 30th Anniversary of the Karabakh Movement Held in Brussels
- 03.19.2018 Azeri recon UAV downed after violating Artsakh airspace
- 03.19.2018 Artsakh President congratulates Vladimir Putin on victory in Russian presidential election
- 03.18.2018 Armenian community of America and our American friends are actively involved in international recognition of Artsakh — Artsakh President
- 03.21.2018 Azeri regime-owned bank executive arrested in US, faces 125 years sentence
- 03.19.2018 Artsakh President visits St. Mary and Holy Cross Armenian Apostolic Churches in Washington
- 03.22.2018 “Tufenkian” foundation sets up persimmon orchard in Artsakh village
- 03.22.2018 President of Artsakh meets with Lebanese Armenian business community in Beirut
- 03.20.2018 Screening of a Film Dedicated to the 30th Anniversary of the Karabakh Movement Held in Brussels
- 03.21.2018 In Antelias Artsakh President partkates at ceremony dedicted to 100th anniversary of Armenia's independence