10 best places to make your trip to Artsakh memorable
Artsakh has numerous places for tourists to visit: those places offer unique impressions both to those interested in archeological excavations, to those appreciating the unique architectural style and interesting solutions, as well as to adventure tourism lovers.
STEPANAKERT, AUGUST 9, ARTSAKHPRESS-ARMENPRESS: 10 best places in Artsakh that are worth visiting and observing.
Jdrduz – Canyon of Hunot
If you want to see the whole magic of the Artsakh nature, you need to definitely visit Jdrduz, the same Katarot, which is located on the edge of the Shushi city, on the top of the rocks. Rocky curves, ruins of ancient mills, challenging bridges, funny wooden people, resting benches and finally tourists – this is what you can see on the road to the Canyon of Hunot just below Jdrduz.
One of the ornaments of Artsakh is the Tnjri – a giant plain tree. The tree is situated nearby the Skhtorashen village. It is already 2035 years old. The hollow of the tree is 44 sq.m thanks to which 100 people can stand there. The circumference of the tree is 27 m and the height is more than 54 m. In the vicinity of Tnjri you can see numerous historical-cultural monuments. The Tnjri for the Artsakh people is not just a tree, rather it is a pilgrimage place.
St. Ghazanchetsots Church in Shushi
Shushi is one of the cultural cities of Artsakh. In addition to ancient historical buildings, museums, the tourists can be attracted by the Holy Savior Ghazanchetsots church which has been built in the 19th century in the center of Shushi. As an architectural structure, the church attracts not only by its color, but also by its unique dome and engravings. The bell tower is built in front of the cathedral. The church has a part where acoustic qualities change the human voice.
The city of Tigranakert, named after Tigran the Great, is located in the Martuni region of Artsakh. The city was built in the 1st century BC. In 2008 state historical-cultural reserve has been created at the city’s excavation site where visitors can get information on the city’s centuries-old history. Numerous excavations have been carried out in the territory of Tigranakert. The excavations of 2005 revealed that Tigranakert had a bulwark fortified district like the medieval classical cities, a commercial or central district, large agricultural suburbs.
Gandzasar monastery located in the Martakert region as a unique architectural structure attracts tourists to a great extent especially for those who choose Artsakh as a tourism destination during summer. The 13-century monastery is nearby the Vank village: the monastery’s restoration works launched in 2000. The book about the history of Gandzasar translated into 11 languages, makes the tourists’ visit more accessible and easier to the monastery. The Gandzasar matenadaran named after Mesrop Mashtots, is nearby the Vank village.
Kachaghakaberd is a mountain-top fortress located between Pteretsk and Kolatak villages of Artsakh. The peak of the mountain on which the fortress is standing is especially visible on the way from Stepanakert to Gandzasar. It is located at a height of more than 1700 meters, surrounded by vertical limestone cliffs with the heights of 50–60 meters, has a hard-to-reach entrance from the southern side of the fortress.
The Azokh cave is an important archaeological site which is nearby the Azokh village of Artsakh’s Hadrut region. During the excavations in 1968 the Neanderthal man's jaw was discovered, 300.000 years old. The Azokh cave is a state natural reserve which is in the spotlight of not only Armenian, but also foreign archeologists. ‘Azokh cave and the Transcaucasian corridor’ book was published in 2016 which presents the results of archeological works that lasted for over 10 years.
Dadivank monastery, 9-13th centuries, is another historical site of Artsakh located in the Dadivank village of Shahumyan region. The monastery includes also the St. Mary Cathedral the frescoes of which were cleaned and renovated by foreign specialists. According to the document signed by 16 members of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) on October 8, 2001, the demolition of Dadivank in Artsakh is one of the shocking facts of the Azerbaijani policy. The Armenian troops liberated Dadivank on March 31, 1993.
The mountain is located in the Hadrut region. The second name of the mountain is Ziarat. The peak of the mountain is one of the historical holy sites of Artsakh.
Janapar Trail hiking route
The Janapar Trail is a 500km (311 mile) hiking trail taking you past high mountains, over hills and through valleys and canyons, discovering many ancient monasteries. It starches from Vardenis to Hadrut region.
- 17:09 Poland's foreign minister to visit Armenia
- 15:40 NATO chief welcomes Armenia’s readiness to participate in discussions on peace in Syria
- 14:04 Armenia Parliament speaker to head to Poland
- 10:57 Maintaining negotiation process on NK conflict will reduce the risk of military confrontation – Russian expert
- 10:35 Two multi-apartment buildings are being built in Karmir Shouka (Red Market)
- 09:43 UN Secretary-General calls on Armenia and Azerbaijan to resolve Karabakh conflict
- 09:23 Group of Armenians visit their forebears’ cemetery in Turkey’s Zara town
- 17:25 Armenia, Azerbaijan leaders agreed to intensify negotiation process
- 16:21 Artsakh sportsman became European champion
- 16:05 Sargsyan-Aliyev meeting is over
- 15:18 Armenian, Azerbaijani Presidents hold private meeting in Geneva
- 14:24 Sargsyan-Aliyev talks kick off in Geneva
- 13:23 Armenia president arrives in Geneva
- 12:51 State organs have been commissioned to realize elaboration and implementation of measures envisaged in Artsakh Republic President's program
- 12:46 Bako Sahakyan convened an extended consultation devoted to the President’s 2017-2020 Program
- 10:25 Global oil prices rising
- 10:13 Armenia is one of China’s foreign policy priorities – Beijing MFA official
- 10:10 Vietnam braces for typhoon Khanun after 72 killed in floods
- 11:27 Bako Sahakyan partook at solemn event marking the 25th anniversary of the 8th separate motorized brigade formation
- 10:41 President Bako Sahakyan makes new appointment
- 10:39 Turkey troops enter Syria
- 09:48 UNESCO selects French culture minister as new chief
- 17:24 Partnership-2017: Scenarios of combat operations performed at finals of military drills
- 16:05 Iraq starts operation to retake Kirkuk
- 14:47 MOD: Armenia will continue active participation in CSTO
- 14:19 Israel to join US in quitting Unesco
- 13:13 Armenia, Azerbaijan presidents’ talk slated for October 16 in Switzerland
- 12:53 Ishkhanadzor has new football stadium
- 12:02 Armenian Genocide documentary screened in Moscow
- 11:01 Community center is being built in Khndzristan village of Askeran region, Artsakh
- 09:49 California wildfire: Death toll rises to 31
- 09:31 Trump poised to abandon Iran nuclear deal
- 21:59 Armen Ashotyan: Presidents of Armenia and Azerbaijan to meet in Geneva next week
- 17:38 The EU's Chief Negotiator: Brexit Talks Are Still in Deadlock
- 16:02 Tillerson Expressed is "Profound Concern" Over Turkey's Actions
- 13:53 Armenia deputy defense minister heads to Tajikistan
- 13:40 Social living conditions of Karabakh soldiers at frontline will be improved
- 13:28 Shavarsh Kocharyan: Decrease in incidents is due to fact that Armenian parties are more prepared for them
- 13:15 Armenia deputy FM: Expected Sargsyan-Aliyev talk’s content is not convenient to Azerbaijan
- 10:57 Doctors from USA performing free operations at Stepanakert Maternity Hospital
- 10:30 Student-Pupil-Soldier: The Power of Unity program launched at Artsakh State University
- 10:01 Hamas and Fatah 'reach deal’ to end decade-old Palestinian rift
- 09:46 Armenian-American military cooperation continues to develop
- 09:44 Pentagon: US-Turkey diplomatic tension will not affect military cooperation
- 17:54 President Bako Sahakyan signed laws
- 17:53 Spain Takes the First Step Towards the Direct Rule of Catalonia
- 17:11 Dollar, euro continue gaining value in Armenia
- 16:48 French Lawmaker: Macron Could Be Active in Karabakh Conflict Settlement Process
- 14:45 Armenia Parliament leader to head to Russia
- 14:03 PACE adopts resolution criticizing crackdown on human rights in Azerbaijan
- 13:55 Arevik Children's Hospital replenished with new equipment
- 11:04 Soldier shot dead by Azerbaijani gunfire at Armenian border
- 10:20 Theresa May reaffirms UK commitment to Iran nuclear deal
- 10:02 Harut Sassounian: Absurd propagandist for Azerbaijan blames California Armenians
- 09:51 State Department: US remains very concerned with situation in Turkey
- 09:38 Trump may visit DMZ between North and South Korea
- 09:13 Catalonia leader signs declaration of independence
- 17:31 Bako Sahakyan convoked working consultation with participation of the heads of the regional administrations
- 17:16 Transparency International calls on CoE to take tough measures against Azerbaijani corruption scandals and money laundering
- 16:43 France-Artsakh friendship circle welcomes the resolution supporting Artsakh independence
- 10.11.2017 Soldier shot dead by Azerbaijani gunfire at Armenian border
- 10.14.2017 President Bako Sahakyan makes new appointment
- 10.11.2017 President Bako Sahakyan signed laws
- 10.11.2017 Dollar, euro continue gaining value in Armenia
- 10.11.2017 Arevik Children's Hospital replenished with new equipment
- 10.12.2017 Student-Pupil-Soldier: The Power of Unity program launched at Artsakh State University
- 10.11.2017 Armenia Parliament leader to head to Russia
- 10.12.2017 Doctors from USA performing free operations at Stepanakert Maternity Hospital
- 10.12.2017 Armenia deputy FM: Expected Sargsyan-Aliyev talk’s content is not convenient to Azerbaijan